Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

Behind the scenes

Behind the scenes

Postby Tiny » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:44 am

I had a nice conversation with Mike Rogers the current Alumni Association President recently regarding what is going on now with in the association. Mike told me of the volunteers of the ones who are in the rear so to speak who continue to help. The new mini chapters that are getting formed and the work they are doing. I was really glad I was able to express a few of my views and concerns with positive feed back and I feel our conversation was very positive.
The things I mentioned with regards to what I see as an “outsider” being outside Texas is the lack of communication we get universally. I know the newsletter is one form of communication but the internet is a great way to communicate. I suggested that the current and official alumni web site be better utilized. That site has a many capabilities and it would be a very easy and cheap way of communicating with us. I mentioned the newsletter and suggested that it get a face lift. Mike said the newsletter is a BR thing but I feel BR could adjust a little to allow for this.
We also spoke about the great division of Girls town and BR, I believe him and I both understood our misunderstanding of Girls town, but agreed that more is needed to be done to get ex-GT girls involved and into this association since we both lived in this lifestyle.
And finally I felt my messages were given consideration and time will tell, as we both acknowledged greater strides have been accomplished over the past 3 to 4 years with the association and the membership which has grown and more money is being put out which just affirms others have been watching and seeing these improvements.
One day I hope to make it out for one of these gatherings be it in Dallas or for the Rodeo because it would be a really great experience. I might not ever be involved directly with the association, but I believe I may be involved behind the scenes because I am able to do that easier now and maybe later on down the road that could change. I am not complaining about what I see and I know with communication being better in the future I think more ex’s will want to be involved either chatting on line or with some sort of volunteer work with the association.
I hope this will be received with positive thoughts and considerations for the future.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)
Tiny

first name: Tiny
last_name: Gee
From-To Years at BR: 79~85
Home: Veigel

Re: Behind the scenes

Postby leowells92 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:47 am

Amen to everything you've said, Dirk. We have the potential of thousands right there in west Texas who could help.

What keeps guys from paticipating?

Memories, loads of BAD memories. I've said this repeatedly, but many folks of my years' tenure could not wait to leave, and when they returned for some function, they had a bad interaction with a staff member. I have been back for Rodeos 1969, 1970, 1971, and then none until Rodeos 2000 and 2002. Much improved over those years as to how young people are treated, and the addition of girls in 1992 made the place seem more, how to put it. . . . normal.
Here on this website, I've seen a mere 3 folks from my years in HS. Most of you folks are years ahead or behind me.

I can't tell you how many times an alumnus has said to me something that included a description of an argument, a "banning," or some other negative comment.

Five years ago I sent Britt my comments on things, and forwarded copies to many. My conclusion to him then, and now, would be that those young people that so much need one another, end up staying away because of unresolved issues.

There is an almost, but not quite, complete staff change from the days I was there, worked there, etc. Those folks who work there lnow look to me to be so good with them. All that staff development from the 90s in STEP has done them so much good, even with the turnover.

And then, again, both you and I are a few miles away. . . . .
leowells92

Postby Tiny » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:42 am

BR will always have a place in my mind and heart because I lived there 6.5 years and it saved my life. As I regard the association it is a good idea to keep us in touch with one another because we can let go of many of the things we endured. I may never be directly involved with the association but I will remember it. I can say that ill feelings and other issues keep guys from BR from getting closer, and I can’t speak on Girls town but I would assume it might be very similar. The past is my problem and tomorrow is what I make it and it would be nice to see long lost guys to catch up; but we might not all get along or live the way we do and for that is the beauty of being free of BR’s control.
Tiny

Postby Willis_72 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:27 pm

I suspect it will take 36-48 months of this forum up and running before it gets busy all the time. I'm sure there are lots of people who drop by, read and don't type much. Boys Ranch wasn't known for being in the forefront of technology until recently. A few years back I asked about computers in the school and they had just set up the first computer lab.

There are only a couple of people from my time period that have shown up. I've seen more death announcements in the newsletter for my classmates than I have live people. I can't really say I made that many friends while I was at the ranch. I knew everyone but I was never close friends with anyone.

When I left I had a career and family and except for a visit to show my spouse where I went to high school and a trip where I took some video I've never been back.

Somehow Boys Ranch managed to find me over the years and send me the newsletters. It didn't matter where I moved or that I never informed them of my new address but someone made the effort and they always did.

Classmates.com pummeled me with spam over the years and I eventually found the previous forum that happened to be short lived. I entered this forum in several of the major search engines. If someone searches for boys ranch alumni now on google, this is the number 2 and number 3 hits:

#
Boys Ranch Texas Family • Index page
Boys Ranch Alumni Association This is where Alumni Association news, events and information related to the Alumni Association should be posted. ...
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.com/forum/index.php - 33k - Cached - Similar pages
#
Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni Association > Home
Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni Association is committed to protecting your privacy and developing technology that gives you the most powerful and safe ...
calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/Home/tabid/1040/ctl/Privacy/Default.aspx - 33k - Cached - Similar pages

Sadly, the number 1 hit is for the old failed forum.

The alumni association now has the forum listed prominently on the website, the newsletter lists the forum and we are getting some word of mouth. it'll take time, we have a small audience scattered to the four winds and all in various stages of life.

I spend a lot of time online and I've been involved with forums in one fashion or another since the days of compuserve and GEnie. Hang around, tell some war stories, yell cheeseit if you see staff and it will all come together. :)
Chapter Farmer - FFA, Willis Dorm -69-72
Willis_72

Postby leowells92 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:41 am

Don:

They had Apple computer labs in the school well before it became a state required class in 1985. Notwithstanding our years there, I don't know who from the school you talked to, but BR ISD has not been slack in the least in providing up-to-date educational experiences for these young people. At the very least, 1 credit in computers (computer math, computer applications, computer programming) was required for a diploma at the intermediate level. ALL Texas schools had to have a 1/2 credit class in computer literacy by the end of the 8th grade. A very detailed curriculum is given by TEA for computer-oriented activities K-12. Technology has been fully integrated into Texas schools for over a decade.

Unfortunately, it's agriculture that is declining in the BR curriculum. I am told that the water has been getting quite alkaline and is less conducive to crops, etc. Very little of the "farming" end of BR is still there.

As to deaths,. . . .Freddie Hatchett told me at Rodeo 2000 that your class of 1972 has had a great many deaths already. So has mine, 1969.

Before Jerry established this web page several years ago, Glenn Patchen had another site, which is no longer up. It was too much of a financial strain on him. This had to be no later then 1997.
leowells92

Postby Tiny » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:33 pm

You know Glenn's site was more of a email and that was it and it was only as good as the emails of the individuals listed, but we've come a long way in 12 years with regards to internet capabilities. :D
Tiny

Postby rob waldrup » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:49 pm

WOW, IT'S SO GOOD TO HEAR YOUR VOICE LEO WELLS. ROB WALDRUP HERE, BRO. '69 GRAD LIKE YOU. EDWARDS DORM. DO YOU REMEMBER? I SAW A POSTING ABOUT JOHNNIE, DID YA FIND HIM, I HOPE? HE USED TO CALL ME "SPOODFEST", DON'T KNOW WHY. DOSEN'T MATTER. YOU SAID A MOUTHFUL REGARDING "BAD MEMORIES". 41 YEARS LATER AND I'M STILL HAVING A PROBLEM WITH ANGER. HOW HAS THE MASSES BEEN ABLE TO MAINTAIN? LEO, I HAVE TO SHAKE MYSELF SOMETIMES TO RID THE THOUGHTS AND THE HURTS THAT HURT MY HEART. I KNOW YOU UNDERSTAND. FORGIVE ME FOR ANY UNKIND THING I DID AND SAID TO YOU, PLEASE. IN REGARDS TO THE QUESTION OF ENVOLVEMENT FROM EXES, WHO WOULD WANT TO RELIVE THOSE UNJUST ACTS AGAINST ANY OF US? COMBAT VETS ARE THE SAME WAY, TOO HORRIBLE BRO,HOWEVER I'M ALL FOR HEALING AND HELPING THE NEW GUYS COME OUT RIGHT, WHATDYA SAY? I'M IN HOUSTON TEXAS@713-201-9926 OR jamesrwaldrup@yahoo.com AND I CAN HELP SOMEHOW. I DON'T WANT OT SEE ANY BODY GO THROUGH FIVE MARRAGES AND HAVE TWO KIDS, GROWN, THAT IS NEVER SEEN OR HEARD FROM. ALSO LOOKING FOR A FEW GUYS TOO, CHRIS RYAN FROM AUSTIN TO NAME ONE. CAN ANYONE LEND A HAND? IF IT'S INVOLVEMENT YOU WANT I'M READY BUT FOLKS ARE GOING TO HAVE TO OVERCOME THE PAST TOGETHER AND IT WAS BAD. WE ALL KNOW IT SO LET'S GET ON IT GUYS. LEO, CALL OR WRITE ME,OK. JESUS,BRO!!!!!! YEAH, I'M BORN AGAIN. I WAS, AT THE RANCH, AND DIDN'T KNOW IT, WELL I KNOW IT NOW!
rob waldrup

first name: rob
last_name: waldrup
From-To Years at BR: 1964/1969
Home: Edwards

Return to Alumni Association