Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

Who's Looking for who

Post & Read here to find lost brothers, sisters, and staff.

Who's Looking for who

Postby Berner » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:00 pm

What's up ranchers? Took me a while to get off my duff and find the new forum, and by now it's the old forum. For those who don't know I'm Brian Berner, former Staff (germ) kid. Just letting everyone that I used to hang with and know that stop in here that I'm alive and well, and planning for the 4th year in a row to make it for Rodeo weekend, this was the 3rd year in a row that I couldn't break away from work and be there. A man's gotta live, and my kind of living requires money, I'm sure we all share that same dilemma.

For those of you that don't know me, a brief run down is incoming. My family and I arrived at the Ranch in 1982, I graduated in 1987. The family retired and moved from Boy's Ranch in 1993, and unfortunately I have not had a chance to go back since then to visit. My brother-in-law still works there, Billy Nichols, I hope all are doing well and I hope to be more active here and with the alumni association.

Keep on keepin' on, and talk to you all soon.
Brian
Berner

first name: Brian
last_name: Nagar
From-To Years at BR: 1982 - 1987
Home: Anderson

Re: Who's Looking for who

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:03 pm

Welcome aboard,Brian.The great thing about a forum is that you can drop in and out depending on your schedule. Some of us have more time on our hands than others. It is good to have you here posting.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Postby Tiny » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:38 am

Brian,
Good to hear from you again, yes I can relate to plans and things in life that break those plans. I keep sayiing someday I'll go back.....We'll see but until then this board keeps me in touch.
And again great to have you back :!:
Billy and tracey have been working at BR for damn near 25 years...? I think they came out in the spring of 1982 I think? He had that 79 Ford Ranchero Blue I think.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)
Tiny

first name: Tiny
last_name: Gee
From-To Years at BR: 79~85
Home: Veigel

Postby JVizcaino » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:09 am

Tiny,

You are a strange cat at times. I know you're a motorhead but how do you remember what everbody (I mean everybody) drove tewenty years ago? You should go on a game show or something. That's a talent that can translate into money - I know it.

Brian Berner:
Good to hear from you. Glad to have you on the site. Please write back. I hope that now you are here you post a few items. I always like to hear what the experience was like for staff kids. I don't use the term staff germ and on the other hand I surely hope that the staff kids don't see themselves as above us. It's just what was. We shared some fun times together on the speech team - remember? Please let us hear from you. By the way - I would like to hear your characterization of those speech days. You were a smart kid. Remember Ms. Green?
JVizcaino

first name: .
last_name: .
From-To Years at BR: 22-23
Home: Booger Bear

Where's Berner

Postby JVizcaino » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:25 pm

Where you at Berner? Calling agent Berner - come in Berner.
JVizcaino

Postby Tiny » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:16 am

JVizcaino wrote:Tiny,

You are a strange cat at times. I know you're a motorhead but how do you remember what everbody (I mean everybody) drove tewenty years ago? You should go on a game show or something. That's a talent that can translate into money - I know it.

Well coming from you Jess that is a compliment! I guess I knew that stuff because of my interest of vehicles, I mean to this day I see details others may over look! I watch Barrett Jackson car auctions and I see details which loom in the grey matter for future use. Now don’t ask me a question about work or what I just ate because that is useless. But if you ask a question about paint, or a panel and the distance between two panels and the door hinge? Sheesh I might just give the answer!
I remember certain staff members vehicles because they were cool, or gay or junk. I remember Carol Powell old red Chevy truck, had a 3 in the tree and a 283 V-8 and dual thrush mufflers, Winston Chandler had 4 vehicles, a old 64 falcon, white 6 cylinder, 72 Ford LTD aka green Hornet, 78 or 79 Brown Bonneville, and 79 Brown F-350 truck. Don Lancaster was one of the first to get diesel cars on the ranch he had two Isuzu diesel sedans and the Ensmingers had the mopeds and his wife had a sign that said wide load. Oh and Mr. Ensminger had a green or white step side chevy truck if my memory is correct. So yeah I am a weird cat with that regards but it is funny and it is a piece of odd history but it is one I remember pretty good. I am sure I could provide more details but you’ll have to ask me.

Jess I can tell you a true story about me, our dorm was going to Mora, N.M. for a ski trip. Don Lancaster drove the bus and I sat up next to him most of the trip. You heard of count the licenses plates? Well we had a game called name that truck, I could literally name ever semi by name before anyone else could. See I used to ride with my dad when he was on the road and I’d see those rigs an I knew someday I’d be running the roads in a shiney Peterbilt or Kenworth or some trusty Mack,it was my dream. So it was one of the few things I was good at that other kids gave me respect for.
Tiny

Postby JVizcaino » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:36 am

Ok Test time;

What kind of truck did George Richards have?
What kind of truck did Eddie Farris have.

What kind of truck did Mike Beachamp have?
What was Tin Lizzy?

What kind of powerplant did the Dodge powerwagons have?

What kind of car did Billy Jack Landers have?
JVizcaino

Postby Tiny » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:01 am

George Richards- Had that Ford F-150 it had the extended cab and the 8 foot bed, brownish as I remember

Eddie Ferris? Green and White Bronco? I don’t remember…..

Mike Beachamp-? Heck I don’t even remember his, but a filler is Hank Harmony- Reddish Dodge truck with a white topper.

Tin Lizzy( I liked the rock group Thin Lizzy), wow I am stretching here, as per Lee Kirgen it was the Blue (Air Force) Dodge deuce and a ½ one of the nicer older trucks in the yard.

Power wagons had flat head 6’s 6 cylinder plants with oil bath breathers. I don’t know the cubes unless I google it so I won’t.

Well which truck? The famous one I remember while in Elementary School was that green stepside chevy, reckon a late fifties or early sixties model. He sold it to Mr. Turner who lived behind the Gym.
I am sure I passed not a 100% but a good grade I think…… :D
Tiny

Postby JVizcaino » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:49 am

Mostly you got em all correct. I threw in a trick question for you. Beauchamp actually drove a Chevy van. It was brite red and he had painted on the side - Good Times Machine and on the back Clown Powered. He couldn't have been more right. A rancher I know broke into the van and drank the beer (Good Times) and the clown reference was becasue he was suppose to be a rodeo clown. I don't know about the rodeo part. Also, he got fired for punching out another dorm parent who grabbed his mustache and yanked on it. Talk about a comedy of errors. That Billy Jack was a pistol. What did he do prior to coming to BR.

PS: Beauchamp and Jess Vizcaino never got along. Vizcaino ran his mouth and Beauchamp kept on whipping him. You would think the ole boy would learn - Beauchamp that is.

These are the rambling thoughts of a man that grew up at Boys Ranch Texas near the red-dirt clay of the Canadian River in the Valley of Old Tascosa, nestled in the Panhandle of Texas, and he loves an old pick up - three on the tree please.
JVizcaino

Postby JVizcaino » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:05 am

Straight six is a powerful engine
JVizcaino

Postby Tiny » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:30 pm

225 slant 6 was not power, but it was very reliable--->Boy's Rancher proof!

Well about the mustache, somebody grabbed mine I'd punch'em too! :lol:
Tiny

Postby JVizcaino » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:36 pm

Not power your'e right. Mostly it krept slowly and forcefully.

I'm calling you a mustache pulling puncher.
JVizcaino

Re: Power Wagons

Postby Lan Bostwick 1958-61 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:43 am

Power Wagons made from 1946 thru 1960 had a 230 ci motor.
In 1946 they cost 1627.00, In 1960 they cost 3239.00

In 1961 they changed to a 251 ci Motor and sold for 3515.00
Lan Bostwick 1958-61
Lan Bostwick 1958-61

first name: Lan
last_name: Bostwick
From-To Years at BR: 1/6/1958-8/25/1961
Home: Boot Hill, Maynard

Postby Tiny » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:31 am

I'd ike to have an old Power wagon, although parts are around they are expensive in some cases. I know a guy who has a '52 PW and I told him a lot of stuff he didn't know because we at BR used them alot.
Tiny

Postby johnwesleyhardin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:44 pm

Hey my mane is John palmer and i do seem to remember a Billy Nichols didnt he used to work is the schools as the maintenance guy?If so i worked with his crew in what it must have been in the early 80s,i was eitaer in Tunnel dorm or by then i might have moved to Hamilton dorm by then.You might remember me Dirk graves was my best friend and Billy palmer is my brother(FREE IS HIS LAST NAME NOW)
johnwesleyhardin

first name: John
last_name: Palmer
From-To Years at BR: 1974-1985
Home: Hamilton

Next

Return to Looking for People