Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

A few people I would like to hear from

Post & Read here to find lost brothers, sisters, and staff.

A few people I would like to hear from

Postby MCrane » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:48 am

I would be interested to hear from Kevin "country" Hoelting, Chris "Spiffy" Preston, Jake Eddy, and anyone else that was in MF dorm around 78-83 Just curious to see how everyone has been and how their lives turned out.
Last edited by MCrane on Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Crane
MF Dorm 78-83
MCrane

still kicking

Postby pmoses » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:41 pm

I have been off the forum for some time but now feel well enough to write some. I have been a regulaqr reader of the posts but didn't have anything to say. In April of last year I found out I had lung cancer. From then until Sept I have been undergoing chemo and radiation. The cancer is in remission but for a couple of months after treatment I had a collapsed lung. That will really limit your mobility. It has now reinflated and I am trying to regain some strength which is a work in progress.
Has anyone heard from Frank or Jimmy Dodd or Mike Flanagan? They were at BR in 1959-60 with me. Any of you guys that were at BR in the 1957-60 time frame speak up and send me an e-mail. I look forward to getting the quarterly news letter so I can find out if any of the guys I knew have been in contact. By the same reason I look in our membership list on this web page to see if there are any guys I know. Both have a place so please don't shoot either down. This web page is an excellent place to reunite old friends and tell some stories. Keep them coming.
pmoses

Postby David Rattan » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:40 pm

Glad to hear you are recovering and on the mend. Thanks for your post. It is fun to catch up with and reconnect with people we knew (and even those we didn't know) because of the common experiences we shared regardless of the decade(s) we may have been at the Ranch. I was born in 1960 and lived at the Ranch from 1960-1978, and it was still where my parents lived (and therefore where I went home to) until June of 1992. When I visit now, it is usually for a short period of time, but it still feels like it always did even though there are a lot more dorms and buildings and very few people left who were at the Ranch during my years there. Growing up there was all I ever knew, so I had nothing to compare it to, but I loved it and have always chosen to love wherever I lived.

Take care, friend.
David Rattan
Cal Farley's Boys Ranch
Class of 1978
David Rattan

Re: still kicking

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:34 am

pmoses wrote:I have been off the forum for some time but now feel well enough to write some. I have been a regulaqr reader of the posts but didn't have anything to say. In April of last year I found out I had lung cancer. From then until Sept I have been undergoing chemo and radiation. The cancer is in remission but for a couple of months after treatment I had a collapsed lung. That will really limit your mobility. It has now reinflated and I am trying to regain some strength which is a work in progress.
Has anyone heard from Frank or Jimmy Dodd or Mike Flanagan? They were at BR in 1959-60 with me. Any of you guys that were at BR in the 1957-60 time frame speak up and send me an e-mail. I look forward to getting the quarterly news letter so I can find out if any of the guys I knew have been in contact. By the same reason I look in our membership list on this web page to see if there are any guys I know. Both have a place so please don't shoot either down. This web page is an excellent place to reunite old friends and tell some stories. Keep them coming.

I am sorry to hear about your health problems and happy to hear the cancer is in remission. I hope you are able to reconnect with some of the people you are looking for. Keep posting and talking to us when you have the time.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Re: A few people I would like to hear from

Postby gghobs.est2008 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:02 pm

Hey Mike! Just who had the cancer? The reason why is that I have just written a poem for a young girl 14yrs old that just got through battling cancer and WON! or at least it has went into mision. So if you will can you please send this poem out to ANYONE that has had to deal with this towering evil.

"ANNIE"

A little child of precious
with a heart made of gold
Faced with a crises
when the truth was sadly told
A family of being
gathered to solace and pray
Bound and determined
to see this through
"ANNIE" is a soldier
whom believes and deeply loves(GOD)
This battle of undoing
will not seek to win
For GODS in her corner
As "ANNIE" screams fighting to defend
And like the lighting from HEAVEN
send down from GOD above
GODS hands comforts her
cleansing her with his everlasting love
A little child of precious
in time her pain will mend
leaving behind the victor
A little girl of charm
worry not for GODS got your arm

By: Anthony Helton
"ANNIE"

IN 1996 I lost my MOM to cancer(52) She was still so young and beautyful! So now I am trying to make up for lost time by writing poems like this, to maybe inspire others that all is not lost! There is others out there that have won and so can you. Thanks Mike. "GRASSHOPPER78-88"(M.F)
gghobs.est2008

first name: anthony
last_name: helton

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:36 pm

Anthony, Paul moses had cancer. He passed away in January this year .

Keep up the good work with your poems. If you are able to bring a smile into the life of a cancer patient the Lord's work is being done.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Postby Jeff Mitchell » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:38 pm

Jerry Nicholson wrote:
Keep up the good work with your poems. If you are able to bring a smile into the life of a cancer patient the Lord's work is being done.

AMEN
Jeff Mitchell

first name: Jeff
last_name: Mitchell
From-To Years at BR: 1958-1965
Home: Western Ave & Jim Hill Hall

Postby sabor » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:48 am

Very touching poem. Thanks for haring it with us.

Take Care
Norman
Boothill, McCormick & Western Ave. 1956-1960
sabor

Return to Looking for People