Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

Junior H. Radney, DVM, 06/27/1960 - 12/03/2011

To Memorialize Our Family. Post here to report the passing of anyone in our family and memories of their life.

Junior H. Radney, DVM, 06/27/1960 - 12/03/2011

Postby Ex-Rancher » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:41 pm

Junior (and his two brothers) lived in MF during the '70's. He was a good guy. Always knew he'd make something worthwhile of himself, too. Sad to see him go so young.

Belated condolences to his family and friends ...

http://www.scottcountyrecord.com/obitua ... radney-dvm
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. —Thomas A. Edison

We think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty. —Mother Teresa
Ex-Rancher

first name: Apple
last_name: Axe
From-To Years at BR: MCMLXX - MCMLXXX
Home: Boot Hill

Re: Junior H. Radney, DVM, 06/27/1960 - 12/03/2011

Postby Tiny » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:40 am

I remember Brian as he graduated in 80 or 81 and he seemed pretty cool. I didn't live in the dorm and rumor had it that MR was pretty brutal after lights out. Jerry Swatosh and I had a fight one night after chow and my DP and Jimmy Wallace looked on. Jerry and I became friends and we had a mutual understanding.

I've heard Jerry passed away as well and it is sad to see the guys we grew up with leave so early.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)
Tiny

first name: Tiny
last_name: Gee
From-To Years at BR: 79~85
Home: Veigel

Postby Ex-Rancher » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:23 am

Tiny wrote:[R]umor had it that MR was pretty brutal after lights out....

It was. Frankly, it's a wonder that no one ever died (in MF) given the BS that typically occurred there after lights out. Guess it's why my subsequent frat house initiation hazing in college was such a walk in the park for me, though. Seems to be a constant in life that bad things oftentimes have to happen before good things can.
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. —Thomas A. Edison

We think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty. —Mother Teresa
Ex-Rancher

first name: Apple
last_name: Axe
From-To Years at BR: MCMLXX - MCMLXXX
Home: Boot Hill

Postby Flaco » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:09 am

Maynard n Rafter R were no picnic either,and incidentally our dorm parent had been an alternate dp at you guessed it...MF...kinda shows the truth about who the perpetrators of abuse really were. And now the alumni association is giving these@!!:#&?"% awards. Maybe they should think about that the next time attendance is down at the gatherings. As for me,I wasn't given a shirt tail to hang on to,but a belt to fear and a hatred for authority. I will never go to a gathering or support BR in any way until this is addressed!!!!
Flaco
A man gotta stand for something or he will fall for anything
Flaco

Postby Tiny » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:43 am

What I see is that people remember what they want and when they want and the rest is just a blur. Not underscoring your point as some of this stuff is just political BS. I know some guys including myself who have helped, gotten together and even tried to encourage exes to gather and to celebrate our past. Did I ever get an award? No and that is because I took the responsibility myself like others have and we took the message out and did it unselfishly.

A tide of change is upon us and I believe that if the alumni was more about fellowship and less about money more people would dig deeper. Next the alumni should not be considered a bank for those who are to lazy to step up and be part of society. BR should be ashamed of themselves for not teaching and making these kids work, learn how to honestly earn and be self sufficient in the world! BR should have to tote some of that tax instead of milking the crap out of the alumni association.

The friends I have from BR are good guys and I respect them and I am glad to know them and to have been able to get to this part of life and looking back BR was a hard place to endure and for that I am a survivor like many who came before me and after me.
Tiny

Postby Flaco » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:16 am

I hear you Tiny. I applaud the association for the work they are doing. And they have bailed me out of some bad situation,such as during my open heart surgery a few years back. Like I said,they are doing good things,and I salute them. However,the 1 issue I have is the gatherings. The 1 I attended,there were more staff than "us". Not saying they are not entitled,just that they came across as though BR was about them and not us. In fact one of them claiming that he missed being able to "rack" us. This infuriated me. A few days later,still quite angry, I suffered a massive heart attack.
I wanted to go to the one in Dallas last year, but after travelling from New Mexico,with all the cost that that entails,only to find out the route to the event from my room in Ft.Worth was not only confusing,but very expensive because of all the freaking toll roads. That is really hard on someone dealing with heart disease and cancer. Do they consider these things? I mean aren't we all old? So in frustration,I gave up and just went to the wilds of my homeland,broke.
Anyway, I have nothing against the boys who were there as we were just kids growing up. Staff on the other hand were adults or supposed to be.
Anyway,I am just venting....all I ask is that 1 of them simply step up and admit they were wrong and offer an apology. They beat that concept into us,so practice what they preach...I hope all is well and God Bless
Flaco
A man gotta stand for something or he will fall for anything
Flaco

Postby Tiny » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:26 am

The staff "issue" is a funny one because it depends on who from the staff ranks is doing things for example that is a deal breaker. The issues with gatherings is we exes should be ashamed of ourselves for not reaching out more. Now having said this I know first hand because I have tried to get some guys from my era to attend functions and many have such resentments it wasn't going to happen.

I have my opinions on that and outside of being a dues payer in good standing I am a no count and will leave it at that.

So how do we take the message out to those who are skeptics? I used to attend several gatherings as I did live semi local to Texas and it was easy for me to drive up to BR and or Dallas. The Dallas event really was a good time and they seemed to have finally figured out how to make a decent show go on. What pissed me off were those who live in Ft.Worth and or west of Dallas who bitched it was being held in Dallas. I'd drive over 5 hours to attend and I should of been whining because I had to drive over to Dallas.

The alumni is a unique deal and it does good things and has a good body of people who are doing great things for the future.
Tiny

Postby Willis_72 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:31 pm

lol, I didn't like most of the people I knew while I was there. Why would I want to spend money to go visit them? I learned a lot in terms of skills and dealing with people at the ranch. Served me well during my Army career. Work ethic, had that before I showed up. Don't take it as anything personal if someone doesn't want to attend an alumni function. As for staff, well they are staff pukes and I won't eat dessert with any bowl with their initials on it. They didn't get it then and they don't get it now.

BTW, didn't know Junior H Radley, my condolences to his family.
Chapter Farmer - FFA, Willis Dorm -69-72
Willis_72

Postby Tiny » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:22 am

I only like the actions to meet up with old friends I had back then. I wasn't on the high list of achievers while at BR and my life is different now as it mean more to me than it did at BR.

I actually think the alumni is a waste of time because so many exes refuse to have any common connection with it, disband it and we can say we attend BR and get on with living. I have felt this way for a long time and believe that if ex ranchers fall into hard times BR should help them and get them straight because it was BR who failed that person on survival skills. Some exes are lazy and are looking for a free handout and so BR can turn their backs as they have a lot of practice on that skillset.

For me fundamentally the alumni deal is over-rated and some good souls with real heartfelt wishes to achieve certain goals. But it is the other percent that keeps folks away and so I don't have to be part of it and once my dues expire I will go my way and let them do whatever as I have no voice since I don't pay to play.
Tiny

Return to In Memory of Those Who Have Passed