Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

Those that have passed

To Memorialize Our Family. Post here to report the passing of anyone in our family and memories of their life.

Those that have passed

Postby Lan Bostwick 1958-61 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:53 pm

Xcell spreadsheet of those who have passed

Lan.......
SEE this post for the list
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=513#p3111
Last edited by Jerry Nicholson on Tue May 18, 2010 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Admin updated the list from 08 to 09
Lan Bostwick 1958-61
Lan Bostwick 1958-61

first name: Lan
last_name: Bostwick
From-To Years at BR: 1/6/1958-8/25/1961
Home: Boot Hill, Maynard

Re: Those that have passed

Postby Tom Weissinger » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:37 am

I can't describe how I feel each time I go through this list of Ranchers that have passed from our midst. Some of them I never knew and many of them I knew and loved. Looking over each name effects me, especially those I knew. When I come to the names of those I knew somehow a memory flashes through my mind. Every memory makes my eyes mist up and sometimes even tear up. In my mind there are perhaps millions of memories and many of those are from Boys' Ranch. I can see Mr. Farley, any area of the ranch you can think of, Staff, boys, animals, buildings, certain happenings, scenes from growing up there, you name it, it can flash through my mind. Just now, scenes from five different fights I had while at the ranch flashed through my mind.When I think about it, I can recall every fight I had while I lived there. There were only two more than those I just mentioned. Unless you take into account that I had three or four with Sam Carter on one town trip Saturday when he and I were on restriction. I don't know what was wrong with us that day, but we got into it at least three times. Neither one of really won, each time it was more or less a draw.

You know, I just thought about how differemt the ranch was in just the short time from when my brother, G. W. Settles was there and when I was there. G. W. left in '57 and I came in '59. The ranch went through some rapid changes in the few short years I was there. When I arrived, there weren't all that many dorms like the ones they have now. Let me see if I can recall just how many there were when I got there. Up the hill where I lived in Maynard, there was Jim Hill and Maynard. Around the hill, Seaton and Veigel. the rest of the dorms were the old barracks. The years have dimmed my memory, but I do recall that Hadacol, Boot Hill, Western and McCormik were still in use. While I was at the ranch we built Lutz, Finch, M F, Edwards, the natatorium, a chapel extension and the fire hall. Likely, we did even more, i just am not remembering the others.
Tom Weissinger
Maynard Dorm
'59-63
Tom Weissinger

first name: Tom
last_name: Weissinger
From-To Years at BR: '59-'63
Home: Maynard

Postby stonefeather » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:34 pm

Hey Lan,

Thanks for the spreadsheet. I had heard about some of these passings but there were also several that took me by surprise.
I would like to ask if anyone has details on the deaths of the following, some friends, some dorm mates.
Kenny Poindexter d-90, Adam Frank d-92, Les McNutt d-99, James Higginbotham d-03, Jerry Grooms d-03, and Murv Smith d 07.
I was just curious as to how they died, family, etc...

They were all good friends during the time I knew them at the ranch. I guess that is how they have existed in my mind over the years, as some kind of "freeze-frame" remembrance of them back at the ranch as we all lived and learned together.

Anyone?
Cody Carroll
76-80 Maynard Dorm
Remember that very little is needed to make a happy life.
Marcus Aurelius
121-80 AD, Roman Emperor, Philosopher
stonefeather

first name: Cody
last_name: Carroll

Postby David Rattan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:57 am

Hi, Cody. Good to see your post.
It is amazing to see some of those on the list who left us way too soon. Like Tom, I have memories of so many of the guys whose names are on that list.
I knew all the guys you asked about, and I can tell you that Jerry Grooms was killed in a motorcycle accident. As I recall, he was sitting on his bike at a traffic light, and someone ran over him from behind. Murv Smith's obituary was in the Amarillo Globe News. Here is the url if you'd like to view the write-up. http://www.amarillo.com/stories/042607/obi_obits4.shtml
I'm sure there are others on the forum who can tell you about the others.
Take care.
David Rattan
Cal Farley's Boys Ranch
Class of 1978
David Rattan

Postby stonefeather » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:05 pm

David,

Thanks for the info about Jerry. He was another one of "Pete's" kids. All of us kids assisted by him (Pete) in placement at the ranch felt a kind of kinship. Last I heard Jerry was Pres. of the CFBRAA wasn't he? Very sad indeed, he was a great guy with lots of energy and potential when I knew him at CF's.

Thanks for the obit for Murv. I had looked at it previously but looked at it again to see if I missed anything. It dosen't list anything about how he died.

If you happen to hear about any others in my previous posts please let me know.

Laters,
Cody
Cody Carroll
76-80 Maynard Dorm
Remember that very little is needed to make a happy life.
Marcus Aurelius
121-80 AD, Roman Emperor, Philosopher
stonefeather

first name: Cody
last_name: Carroll

Postby Lan Bostwick 1958-61 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:23 am

There is a new list of those that have passed that was created in July 09.
Lan Bostwick 1958-61
Lan Bostwick 1958-61

Postby leowells92 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:56 pm

I see that the list distinguishes boys from staff who have ided. Charlie Priolo and D. A. Pritchard, both staff in my time, were still listed among the boys. #10 is a troubler. I understand Arthur "Buddy" Ake is deceased, but on several versions of this spreadsheet he is nor listed correctly.
leowells92

Postby Lan Bostwick 1958-61 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:56 pm

Leo,

I have made the corrections that you brought up. Thanks for the help.
I tried to give you a call but got no answer. I welcome any information
or corrections that anyone can give me. In the next posting l send to
Jerry the corrections will be in place. I'm not sure when that will be,
but I have corrected the master database.
Lan Bostwick 1958-61
Lan Bostwick 1958-61

Postby Tiny » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:39 am

Charlie Priolo was like a dad to me and he died in 1999 from cancer. It ate him up pretty bad and I was able to seak with hism about a week before he died. I was glad to be able to speak with him and I loved him very much and I miss him dearly and I believe he was ready and was just tired.
Last edited by Tiny on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)
Tiny

first name: Tiny
last_name: Gee
From-To Years at BR: 79~85
Home: Veigel

Postby leowells92 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:27 am

Lanny, if you have gotten an e-mail from me in the past year, my correct phone number is attached to the signature. I will go to the web and do some digging.
leowells92

Postby triehljr » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:23 am

Hi Lan,

Can you please add Dean Lehew? I don't know the particulars of what years he worked at BR. And I don't remember the actual date of his passing either. Bobby Lehew is on the Alumni Board, perhaps you can reach out to him for the info I don't have?

Thanks,
Thomas
Thomas Riehl
MF 84-88
Class of 89(left early)
triehljr

first name: Thomas
last_name: Riehl
From-To Years at BR: 84-88(Class of 89)
Home: MF Home

Postby BR-69 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:27 am

Lan,
You have TRoy Van Ooyen listed twice.And under Wellborn it says Steves brother.His brother was Andy Wellborn.All 3 of these guys were in my dorm.
"A MAN GOTTA STAND FOR SOMETHING OR HE WILL FALL FOR ANYTHING"
BR-69

first name: Keith
last_name: Cargill
From-To Years at BR: 1969
Home: Jim Hill,Maynard,Rafter-R

Postby Tom Weissinger » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:36 pm

Tom Weissinger wrote:I can't describe how I feel each time I go through this list of Ranchers that have passed from our midst. Some of them I never knew and many of them I knew and loved. Looking over each name effects me, especially those I knew. When I come to the names of those I knew somehow a memory flashes through my mind. Every memory makes my eyes mist up and sometimes even tear up. In my mind there are perhaps millions of memories and many of those are from Boys' Ranch. I can see Mr. Farley, any area of the ranch you can think of, Staff, boys, animals, buildings, certain happenings, scenes from growing up there, you name it, it can flash through my mind. Just now, scenes from five different fights I had while at the ranch flashed through my mind.When I think about it, I can recall every fight I had while I lived there. There were only two more than those I just mentioned. Unless you take into account that I had three or four with Sam Carter on one town trip Saturday when he and I were on restriction. I don't know what was wrong with us that day, but we got into it at least three times. Neither one of really won, each time it was more or less a draw.

You know, I just thought about how differemt the ranch was in just the short time from when my brother, G. W. Settles was there and when I was there. G. W. left in '57 and I came in '59. The ranch went through some rapid changes in the few short years I was there. When I arrived, there weren't all that many dorms like the ones they have now. Let me see if I can recall just how many there were when I got there. Up the hill where I lived in Maynard, there was Jim Hill and Maynard. Around the hill, Seaton and Veigel. the rest of the dorms were the old barracks. The years have dimmed my memory, but I do recall that Hadacol, Boot Hill, Western and McCormik were still in use. While I was at the ranch we built Lutz, Finch, M F, Edwards, the natatorium, a chapel extension and the fire hall. Likely, we did even more, i just am not remembering the others.

I have been here again and I can't say it any better today than I did five years ago. The memories come and my eyes dim and well up with tears for my brothers. Thank each for your postings of thes passed "Ranchers".
Tom Weissinger
Maynard Dorm
'59-63
Tom Weissinger

first name: Tom
last_name: Weissinger
From-To Years at BR: '59-'63
Home: Maynard

Return to In Memory of Those Who Have Passed