Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

Norman Martin

To Memorialize Our Family. Post here to report the passing of anyone in our family and memories of their life.

Norman Martin

Postby Jeff Mitchell » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:10 pm

I just received a call from Norman's son Barney that Norman passed away the morning of July 1, 2009.
As per his wishes there was no funeral, he was buried upon release from the hospital.
Barney will be posting more information later.

Norman, May God Bless You, Rest in Peace my brother.

Jeff
Jeff Mitchell

first name: Jeff
last_name: Mitchell
From-To Years at BR: 1958-1965
Home: Western Ave & Jim Hill Hall

Re: Norman Martin

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:50 pm

This is very sad news. Jeff, thanks for providing us with the info.

Norman, brother we are going to miss you. RIP and put in a good word with God for the rest of us.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Postby Lan Bostwick 1958-61 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:08 pm

Pictures of Norman Martin
Attachments
NMart-10.jpg
Lan Bostwick 1958-61
Lan Bostwick 1958-61

first name: Lan
last_name: Bostwick
From-To Years at BR: 1/6/1958-8/25/1961
Home: Boot Hill, Maynard

Postby rcsarp » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:12 am

Jeff, thanks for the update on Norman, and Lan thank you for the pics. We need to start putting together a tribute to former Ranches for our Annual Meeting. We could actually pull it together this year with your help Lan. Let me know what you think about that. I'll send a card from the Association to Barney, but I only have Norman's address. I'll bet he'll get it. Any other suggestions.
Bobby Sarpalius '60-'67
rcsarp

first name: Bobby
last_name: Sarpalius
From-To Years at BR: 1960-1967
Home: Jim Hill

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:33 am

Bobby, I like that idea. Maybe a slide show, if we can get the photos, set up in an area where people who are interested can watch.

Let me now if you need help. Also let me know if you need any help on Sat morning.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Postby kjurden » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:56 am

My thoughts and prayers are with Norman's family and friends. God bless you Norman and may you have everlasting peace...

Ken Jurden
kjurden

first name: Ken
last_name: Jurden
From-To Years at BR: 1963-1971
Home: Frying Pan, Lutz, Jeffries

Postby sabor » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:49 pm

Dear Normans friends from boys ranch,
Thanks for all your prayers and well wishes, God Bless all of you, Boys Ranch was a very special time for him. Norman was diagnosed with lung cancer early in Febuary, we did chemo therapy with the hopes of making the tumor smaller. For awhile he did get better and felt good, but unfortunatly the cancer came back with a vengence. In little over a month the cancer spread rapidly and 4 weeks ago we were told by the VA that the cancer had spread every where and there was little hope. They told us the bad news that he only had a little time left and we, me and my wife, chose to take care of him in his own home for as long as we could. He passed away July 1 at our local hospital and was buried the next morning per his wishes. If you knew Norman you knew he didnt like a big fuss and we honored his wishes best as possible. Thanks again all of you for being a good part of his life and i wish you all well. If you need to reach us our address is 6533 Y O Rd. , Dexter NM 88230 and a number you can reach us at 575-914-2330, my email address is lykanbite@yahoo.com. He is buried at Southpark Cemetary. We will try to post his plot number and are in the progress of getting his military burial marker.

Sincerly,
Barney Martin
Boothill, McCormick & Western Ave. 1956-1960
sabor

Postby Danny Kent » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:12 am

Norman "sabor" You will be missed!!
God Bless and prayers to the family.
Came to the Ranch from Calif. in 1970 lived in Edwards and Bridwell Graduated in 1979
Danny Kent

Postby Tiny » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:14 pm

Norman,
You old soldier you! Thank you for being a friend and I know you are in a better place and I hope you are keeping them well entertained on the other side!

So long good friend and may I never forget your memory and your words!

Salute to a good guy!
Dirk
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)
Tiny

first name: Tiny
last_name: Gee
From-To Years at BR: 79~85
Home: Veigel

Postby david260 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:02 am

I met Norman at his house in Roswell a few years ago. We went to a local cafe and talked for hours. Norman was a very interesting man and I wish I could have known him better. Vaya Con Dios Amigo.
david260

Postby BR-69 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:51 am

I am so saddened to hear this.I been busy all weekend and out of pocket.He was a good man and will be missed.My heart goes out to his family.
"A MAN GOTTA STAND FOR SOMETHING OR HE WILL FALL FOR ANYTHING"
BR-69

first name: Keith
last_name: Cargill
From-To Years at BR: 1969
Home: Jim Hill,Maynard,Rafter-R

Postby Marc Z » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:46 am

Go with God Norman. Although we never met I felt like you were my brother as all Boys Ranchers are. I will miss your wit and posts. Even though I don't post that often, I check the site almost everyday. I missed the announcement, since my office was closed for the Holiday!

I just lost my own brother on May 1st unexpectedly at age 57 so my prayers go out to
you and your family.

Peace to you and yours, and as someone said, put in a good word for the rest of us!

Take care and God Bless!

Marc Z
55-60
Marc Z

Postby Tom Weissinger » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:50 pm

Norman,

Old friend, already we miss you and I miss you much. You were kind to spare us the worry by not letting us know how bad off you were. I had an inkling, but put it aside. I suspect that the rest of us will not be far behind as it looks very much like the time is near for the Lord himself to return. Rest in peace until that time.
Tom Weissinger
Maynard Dorm
'59-63
Tom Weissinger

first name: Tom
last_name: Weissinger
From-To Years at BR: '59-'63
Home: Maynard

Postby leowells92 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:01 am

Tommy:

Since Norm lived in Western Ave., and I was in the Jim Hill that had just moved there from Western, Johnny and I missed knowing Norm by just a tad. We had many such colorful characters in our dorm, guys who were much fun, but not indicted.
leowells92

Postby triehljr » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:49 pm

I didn't know Sabor. Our eras at BR were separated by a couple of decades. Yet, as I read Barney's post, Sabor's passing hits very close to home. Lung cancer is a hauntingly powerful killer and was what ultimately took my own father's life in 2003. So, as I read Barney's post, the memory of my father's short battle came flooding back. I apparently fool myself into repeatedly believing that I have completely processed that month and the years without him since. Once again I find that I am wrong. I miss him and his absence seems to be as fresh now as then.

My father was diagnosed on his birthday in April 03 and passed away less than 30 days later. If there is an upside to any of it, it is that he didn't suffer but for a short time. I was blessed that I was able to spend most of his time in the hospital at his side. (GOD, I have thanked You before for that, and I thank You again here.)

So, you can see the parallels that caused my emotion to bubble up. There really is not a point to this post other than perhaps a therapeutic exercise for my benefit so I thank you for reading.

Love and miss you Dad. Every single day.

Thomas G. Riehl, Jr.
Thomas Riehl
MF 84-88
Class of 89(left early)
triehljr

first name: Thomas
last_name: Riehl
From-To Years at BR: 84-88(Class of 89)
Home: MF Home

Return to In Memory of Those Who Have Passed