Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

Winston Burgess

To Memorialize Our Family. Post here to report the passing of anyone in our family and memories of their life.

Winston Burgess

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:25 pm

I received this info from Francis Waldrip.

Winston Burgess died Saturday night (10-2-10). His funeral will be Tuesday, Oct. 5, 2010, at Blackburn-Shaw Funeral Home, 8310 S. Coulter. Private burial at Dreamland Cemetery, south of Canyon. Frances is doing pretty well.

Funeral services for Winston Burgess are scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 5th at 2:00 p.m. at Blackburn Shaw Chapel, 8310 S. Coulter in Amarillo . Visitation is scheduled from 4:00 to 8:00 p.m. today at the funeral home.

He retired from teaching math at BR.
Last edited by Jerry Nicholson on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated visitation info
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Re: Winston Burgess

Postby Tiny » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:35 am

Winston was a really radical math teacher. I never had him since I wasn't at that level of math skills. He taugh the guys math pre-Ti-84 style calculators. That is how I learned stats and algebra was on my Ti-84, I'd failed his class back in the day.

RIP Winston
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)
Tiny

first name: Tiny
last_name: Gee
From-To Years at BR: 79~85
Home: Veigel

Postby Willis_72 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:00 pm

The name sounds familiar. Does anyone have a yearbook photo?
Chapter Farmer - FFA, Willis Dorm -69-72
Willis_72

Postby rob waldrup » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:18 pm

Burgess was a big sort of guy and a teacher. He had a sizable moustache and a belly and balding. Wore a lot of plaid shirts. I was above the grades he taught when he came to BR. That's not to say he didn't "advance". Heard tell he knew he knew how to rack ass but never remember him related to any abuses but then again I never had any dealings with him. I do have an annual with his picture but don't ask me how to transmit his picture. I ain't got a clue. Get hold of Cheree at the office and get her to send a '69 model to ya'.
rob waldrup

first name: rob
last_name: waldrup
From-To Years at BR: 1964/1969
Home: Edwards

Postby Tiny » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:57 am

Yes plaid shirts was his trademark, drove a nice El Camino from time to time back in my day.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)
Tiny

first name: Tiny
last_name: Gee
From-To Years at BR: 79~85
Home: Veigel

Postby leowells92 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:22 am

Never had the man for math, but in spring 68 I won district at a UIL meet in Borger and advanced to regionals in Lubbock. Winston was a spellbinding raconteur all the way to Lubbock from BR and back describing everything along the road (before it was an interstate), and eventually Lubbock and Tech. Didn't do so well at the UIL, but fell in love with Lubbock and Tech on that trip with him.
leowells92

Return to In Memory of Those Who Have Passed