Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

Garland Rattan Staff- School Superintendent

To Memorialize Our Family. Post here to report the passing of anyone in our family and memories of their life.

Garland Rattan Staff- School Superintendent

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:37 am

I just received this email from Bobby.

Mr Rattan was definitely one of the best men I ever knew.

Bobby Sarpalius 7:12am Aug 22
Just got word from David that Garland passed away this morning. Don't know a better man. Pray for Shirley, David & Chris. Will post information as it becomes available.I have the following information on the services for Garland Rattan: Visitation - Wed the 24th at 6 pm at Boxwell Brothers Funeral Home, Amarillo; Funeral Service on Thursday the 25th at 1:30 p.m. at Boxwell Brothers Funeral Chapel in Amarillo; Graveside Thursday at 6 p.m. at East Mound Cemetery in Matador, TX.

Bobby Sarpalius 12:40pm Aug 23
I have the following information on the services for Garland Rattan:
Visitation - Wed the 24th at 6 pm at Boxwell Brothers Funeral Home, Amarillo;
Funeral Service on Thursday the 25th at 1:30 p.m. at Boxwell Brothers Funeral Chapel in Amarillo;
Graveside Thursday at 6 p.m. at East Mound Cemetery in Matador, TX.

Garland Ward Rattan – August 22, 2011
Rattan-Obit-Photo.jpg
Garland Ward Rattan –
Birth June 15, 1933- Death August 22, 2011

Garland Ward Rattan, 78, of Amarillo, died Monday, August 22, 2011.

Services will be at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday August 25, 2011 in Boxwell Brothers Ivy Chapel with Dr. Howard K. Batson of First Baptist Church officiating. Burial will be at 6:00 p.m. in East Mound Cemetery in Matador, TX. Arrangements are by Boxwell Brothers Funeral Directors, 2800 Paramount Blvd.

Mr. Rattan was born in Lamesa, TX on June 15, 1933 to Ward and Pearl Rattan and was raised in Matador where he graduated from high school. He played football for four years at West Texas State and earned a bachelor’s degree in agriculture and a master’s in education. He was a member of the T-Club and Who’s Who Among Colleges and Universities.

He worked at Cal Farley’s Boys Ranch from 1955 to 1992. At the age of 28 he was the youngest school superintendent in Texas and served the Ranch in that capacity for over 30 years.

Mr. Rattan was a member of Palo Duro Masonic Lodge in Amarillo and Khiva Shrine Center. He was a life member of Amarillo Chapter #787 and Dumas #653. In 1992 he served the Grand Chapter of Texas as Worthy Grand Patron, an honor he cherished because of the beloved members throughout the state.

He held memberships in numerous education societies, and at one time was an active Gideon.

He is survived by wife of 57 years, Shirley Rattan of Amarillo; sons, David Rattan and wife Lee Ann of North Richland Hills and Chris Rattan and wife Dena of Amarillo; grandchildren, Andy Rattan and wife Caitlyn, Courtney Rattan, Mackenzie Rattan and Zachary Rattan; a sister-in-law, Mrs. Bobbie Schmidt of Perryton; two brothers-in-law of Texarkana, Jack Porter and wife Cindy, and Jerome Porter; and beloved nieces and nephews.

The family suggest memorials be made to the Garland and Shirley Rattan scholarship fund to benefit Boys Ranch Alumni, in care of Bob Sarpalius, 133 Springhill, Hurst, TX 76053; or to the ESTARL scholarship fund to benefit students training for the ministry or church music in care of Mrs. Alma York, 7407 Dreyfuss Dr., Amarillo, TX 79129; or to the charity of your choice.

The family extends special thanks to Lorry Parker and the loving, caring staff at The Cottages in Amarillo.
Last edited by Jerry Nicholson on Wed May 08, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: updated funeral info
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Re: Garland Rattan

Postby Tiny » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:36 pm

Sad news because I knew him and he was always fair. I hope his wife will be well and know we all respected him.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)
Tiny

first name: Tiny
last_name: Gee
From-To Years at BR: 79~85
Home: Veigel

Postby Lan Bostwick 1958-61 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:45 pm

OLD AND NEW PICTURES
Attachments
RattanGarland4J.jpg
Lan Bostwick 1958-61
Lan Bostwick 1958-61

first name: Lan
last_name: Bostwick
From-To Years at BR: 1/6/1958-8/25/1961
Home: Boot Hill, Maynard

Postby vsmith » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:41 pm

Very sad to hear this news. Best wishes to the family.
vsmith

first name: Van
last_name: Smith
From-To Years at BR: 1974-1979
Home: Lutz

Postby Tom Weissinger » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:01 am

Once again, news reaches me long after it has occured. I have only dial up for internet and no longer try to daily check the web site. Even though I have been online several times in the last week or two, it was just today that I learned of Garland passing. Of course, I always called him Mr. Rattan all my life, even the last time I saw him when I was at rodeo a couple of years ago.To say he was a big influence in my life is quite an understatement. He and I never really had any discussions about life, about how education might affect my life, or about what direction I maybe should take to attain a particular goal, but he did influence me and I always felt that he cared about me. Garland was part of my life and I will miss not being able to see him when I attend any Boys Ranch functiuon where he would have been present were he still with us. May God bless his family and comfort them.
Tom Weissinger
Maynard Dorm
'59-63
Tom Weissinger

first name: Tom
last_name: Weissinger
From-To Years at BR: '59-'63
Home: Maynard

Return to In Memory of Those Who Have Passed