Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

James Francis McNichols 1-18-52/ 1-28-2004

To Memorialize Our Family. Post here to report the passing of anyone in our family and memories of their life.

James Francis McNichols 1-18-52/ 1-28-2004

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:27 pm

I received this email from Sherral Bell today concerning Jim McNichols. If anyone has info about Jim's family to share with Sherral I will send you her email.
================

Hi -

I was acquainted with and dated some Boys Ranchers back in the late 60's. I was doing an internet search recently for various people and found out that Jim McNichols passed away in 2004 in Iowa. He graduated in 1970. The obituary just said he died suddenly in his home. I am pasting that obit here. I have not been able to locate Nancy Redman, his partner for several years, mentioned in the obit. The last time I saw Jim was in 1972, when he was home on leave from Vietnam. He gave me a Marines album type book he wanted me to save for him. His picture is not in it, but it is still his and I have kept it all these years, hoping to return it. I remember him having sisters but sure wouldn't know how to reach them either. Anyway, just wanted to let you know we lost Jim.

Sherral Bell

James Francis McNichols
James Francis McNichols, age 52, of Maquoketa, Iowa, died suddenly Wednesday morning, January 28, 2004 at his home in Maquoketa, Iowa.

Public Graveside Services and Burial will be held at 2 P.M., Wednesday, February 4, 2004 from the Andrew-Jackson Cemetery, Rural Andrew, Iowa. There is no public visitation. The Carson & Son Funeral And Cremation Services in Maquoketa is in charge of arrangements.

James Francis McNichols was born on January 18, 1952 in Port Arthur, Texas to James F. McNichols, Sr. and Dorothy Maxwell. He graduated from high school in Texas and then became a Vietnam Veteran of the U.S. Marines Corp.

James was a carpenter by trade and had done work on the Statue of Liberty in New York. He also had worked as a chef in Cedar Rapids. He moved to Maquoketa four months ago from Denver, Colorado. James enjoyed cooking, spending time with nature and fishing.

He is survived by: his long-time partner of 17 years- Nancy Redman of Maquoketa, IA; 3 children; & 2 sisters. He was preceded in death by his parents.

A James Francis McNichols Memorial Fund has been established.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Postby SBell » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:18 am

I emailed the funeral home who was in charge of funeral arrangements, and they did give me a little bit of information.

He has a daughter Patricia Lyn McNichols out in California somewhere. No information on his other kids or his sisters.

Nancy has moved on and the only address was the one they had back in 2004 in Marquoketa.

Only a few people were at the services, probably because they had only recently moved there and didn't know many folks. The funeral home did not tell me the cause of death, probably because of our privacy laws.

I am thinking of donating Jim's Marines yearbook to a library or other facility which may take things like that. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sherral
SBell

Postby sabor » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:26 am

Nancy K Redman, age 50, May be living in one of the three following towns.
Denver Colorado
Maquoketa, IA
Fort Worth, Texas

I will try to find some phone numbers.
Norman
Boothill, McCormick & Western Ave. 1956-1960
sabor

Postby Tom Weissinger » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Sherral,

I would think that it would be best to get the yearbook over to the town office. Or, perhaps someone here would like to take it and make it electronic for viewing over these pages. Hey, now that I think of it, that would be a good idea for anyone that has a copy of any yearbook regardless of the year. I am sure that it would not be hard to do. Any takers?
Tom Weissinger
Maynard Dorm
'59-63
Tom Weissinger

first name: Tom
last_name: Weissinger
From-To Years at BR: '59-'63
Home: Maynard

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:54 pm

Tom,

I can copy & post any year book. Just send it to me & I'll return after I copy it. This offer is open to anyone willing to share.

Jerry
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Postby LeoWells » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:59 am

Jerry:

Cheree Gilliam at the Town Office should have all of the yearbooks from our era either photocopied or in pdf. She made me a copy of all of them I couldn't find. We lack one specifically from 1970.
LeoWells

Postby SBell » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:48 am

Well, I am thinking you guys are talking about a Boys Ranch yearbook. Right? Actually, I was talking about his Marines yearbook. It's from San Diego Marine Corps Recruit Depot.

Hope I didn't create any confusion here.

Sherral
SBell

Postby David Rattan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:48 am

Sherral,

Jerry is offering to scan the images from Jim's book in order to make it a permanent, electronic record suitable for viewing via the internet such as on this forum. He would then return the book to you so you could keep it or give it to another of Jim's loved ones if you can find them.

Boys Ranch has scanned all the yearbooks from BRHS (except 1970, apparently), and this would be a similar process. Cheree Gilliam in the Boys Ranch office in Amarillo scanned the yearbooks, so if you live in Amarillo, it might be easier to take it to her to do the scanning than to mail it to California. I think we understand what book you are talking about, though, and it is unique to Jim from his days in the Marine Corps.

Thanks for sharing.
David Rattan
Cal Farley's Boys Ranch
Class of 1978
David Rattan

Postby SBell » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:19 am

Oh. :oops:

I will check on this. Good ideas.

Thanks.

Sherral
SBell

Postby SBell » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:08 pm

I think I may have found Patricia but she is not responding, so I think I will just leave that alone.

I plan to take the book to the town office as suggested. I happen to still have a couple of photos with Jim McNichols and Alan Fishburn that I will leave at the office as well.

Thanks again.

Sherral
SBell

James F. McNichols

Postby Shannon » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:02 am

Hi, I'm Shannon McNichols, James wife.
I have 3 daughters from him.
They recently asked me to locate him.
I found this site.
Shannon

Re: James F. McNichols

Postby Tiny » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:06 am

Shannon wrote:Hi, I'm Shannon McNichols, James wife.
I have 3 daughters from him.
They recently asked me to locate him.
I found this site.

Hello Shannon,
Welcome and I hope you'll enjoy our site. It would be interesting what your husband said about life experiences from BR and if you all ever visited the ranch?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)
Tiny

first name: Tiny
last_name: Gee
From-To Years at BR: 79~85
Home: Veigel

James F. McNichols

Postby Shannon » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:22 am

Can someone contact me about where James was buried and who I could talk to for my children.
Shannon

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:07 pm

I received an email today from Shannon & James' daughter Patricia. Patricia is asking for any info anyone has about James. I invited her to join the forum, but is she doesn't & anyone wants top contact her just pm or email me for her email address. I don't want to post it here but will send it to anyone who wants it.

It sounds like the family might have not have been in contact with one another and are seeking whatever info they can find.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Postby SBell » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:08 pm

Jerry -

I have emailed Patricia. I have also sent you an email to forward to Shannon. Hopefully, these are Jim's family members.

Surprisingly, there are a number of James F. McNichols in the U.S., with some having the middle name of Francis.

Sherral
SBell

Next

Return to In Memory of Those Who Have Passed