Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

James Francis McNichols 1-18-52/ 1-28-2004

To Memorialize Our Family. Post here to report the passing of anyone in our family and memories of their life.

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:57 am

Sherral, thanks. Hopefully these will be the right people or if they aren't they can at least eliminate our James F. McNichols as their relative.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Postby SBell » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:58 pm

Well, these ladies are Jim's family - his wife and three daughters. When I emailed Shannon (his wife) the photos I have of Jim, that confirmed it. I will go ahead and mail her Jim's Marines book. (Now I know why I kept putting off taking it to the Town office.)

I have given them several search options for finding out more about Jim. Since Shannon is his wife, she will probably be able to get more information from the funeral home than I did. I hope they find what they need and what will help them emotionally.

I am very happy about this "discovery" and it puts my heart to rest. Yet, I am sad for them at the same time.

Thank you Jerry for this forum. It is the tool the Lord used to help this family find out about Jim - after many, many years.

Sherral
SBell

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:13 pm

It is amazing how things work out sometimes. The forum is great for us to connect with one another and talk about old times and whats going on with us today. One of the great additional benefits is that we have been around long enough now that an Internet search picks up some stuff we talk about like like Jim's name & it helps other people who are looking for people or events.

I am really glad you took the time to post your message here and are able to return Jim's stuff to someone who cares & wants it.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Postby Shannon » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:41 pm

Hi, I would like to thank everyone for this site, you have helped my girls and I more than you know.
One more thing, Jim had six sisters, I was going to contact them about their brother but cannot find them anywhere.
The last I heard of them they were in Texas.
They were put in a school the same time Jim went to Cal Farley's.
They had an aunt and uncle Sara and Sam Pate, who lived in Arlington TX.
Sam died right after I left TX and Sara remarried.
If anyone has any information please reply, I will check back often.
Thank you.
Shannon

Re: James Francis McNichols 1-18-52/ 1-28-2004

Postby colene » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:18 pm

Weird, but this is the first time I have put my 1/2 brothers name into the internet and came up with something. I'm Tracey McNichols and I along with my 4 other sisters lived with him from birth until 1966 or early 67 when he was picked up by our local police force in West Covina, CA and were told later he was sent to "boys ranch" to live. This of course was after our fathers death, March 10, 1065. He would have been 78 years old today (just now noticed on the death certificate I keep). We (the "girls") were sent to Texas in April 1967 when my grandparents came and collected us after our mother went off with her boyfriend - Dick. . . We lived in Euless on the farm with them until they found a proper place for us at the United Presbyterian Childrens Home in Waxahachie. Four of the oldest girls went to live there but my youngest sister, 3 at the time, went to live & was adopted by my Aunt Sally & Uncle Sam in Arlington. We saw our brother on leave from the Marines in early 70's but the last time we saw him was when he & Shannon Erin Mc. (from CA) lived on Division Street in a motel with the little girls they had. My other sisters are: Kelly, Erin, Shannon & Kieron McN. I along with Kelly live in Houston (she lives with me & my spouse) the others live in the Weatherford/Arlington/Bedford areas. We never had contact with Jimmy just after his marriage to Shannon and we weren't real close since he was always our caretaker after our dads death so there was always alot of resentment I believe. We met up with our mother again after 23 year abstance (her choice) and that lasted 5 years before she up and left our lives again to move to Arizona & lives in an assisted living facility; basically the way she has always wanted it to be, someone to take care of her with no responsibilities. Its sad Jimmy is gone so soon, but may it would have been nice to reconnect and ask questions about our father who passed when we were: 7, 6, 4, 2 & 4 months, making Jimmy 13 years of age, not the best time to lose your only male support. Don't know anything about our dad and his family but will try to get information I can through the internet so at least we will know where we came from because it is clear, you don't live forever so take time to do what you want to do now. I'll be turning 52 in August and can't imangine that will be it for me but my life I'm "sure" is quite different from the one Jimmy lived and I thank the UPCHome for that. I just went for spring break with my friend from 4th grade whom I was paired up with my 1st day of school. Having her the co-directors daughter was a bonus, but we have keep in contact through the internet, high school reunions, other kids who've grown up there, maybe like y'all do at the Boys Ranch. No regrets on this end of the scale, things pretty much evened out and things eventually do level off. If anyone has any stories about Jimmy I can pass on to my family (my sisters & aunt who we still hang with) that would be great. Bless you all from the Ranch.
Thank you,
Tracey C. McNichols
colene

first name: Tracey
last_name: McNichols
From-To Years at BR: none
Home: Sister of James McNichols

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:05 pm

Tracy, thanks for joining us. I am sorry you had to find out about James through the Internet, but I am also glad you found out. I hope you are able to find some information about your father's family. We are popular enough now with the Internet search engines that someone might find your post and be able to fill in the blanks for you.

I am happy to hear that you had a constructive childhood and still have contact with your roots. That is very important to many of us who did not have strong family relationships as we grew up. Our family is those who grew up with us and staying connected or reconnection is great. That is pretty much what we do on this site.

Stay connected with us and if you want you can tell us about your childhood growing up in the United Presbyterian Childrens Home in Waxahachie. I visited Waxahachie a couple of years ago and fell in love with the downtown section and the courthouse.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Postby shyost61 » Thu May 27, 2010 9:51 pm

My name is Shannon McNichols Yost, one of Jimmy's sisters. I don't have the memories my older sisters have of my brother since I was barely 6 yrs of age when we were separated. I remember seeing Jimmy @ my grandparents home on rare occasions while he was visiting. While my sisters and I were in the children's home in Waxahachie he came to visit us once wearing his military uniform. He looked great at that time. I believe the last time I saw him was in the early 1980's. I find it very sad that I'm reading about my brother's death on the internet, but we were not in contact with him. He seemed to move around a bit and check in every once in awhile with my aunt. That's the only way we heard any news about him. I hope Jimmy found the Boys Ranch to be a home to him during his stay there. I know what an impact the United Presbyterian Home made on the 4 of us (girls), and cannot imagine where we would have ended up without places such as these. I appreciate everyone's help in trying to find Jimmy's family and very glad you did.

Thank you
shyost61

first name: Shannon
last_name: Yost
From-To Years at BR: 1967-1977
Home: United Presbyterian Home in Waxahachie, TX

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Thu May 27, 2010 9:56 pm

Welcome, Shannon. Thanks for posting and telling us about yourself.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Postby david260 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:21 pm

To all of Jim's family, I graduated with Jim in 1970. After reading your post it dawned on me that I never knew why Jim was at the Ranch. I played football and basketball with Jim. Jim played guard both offense and defence for us. Jim was a big strong kid and it was nice to run behide him. He was also our center in basketball. I also worked in the farm program with Jim and that ment getting up early in the morning and either milking 35 head of cows or moving irrigation pipe in the middle of winter. To this day I have never seen a farmer water alfalfa hay in the dead of winter, but we did and most of us have a lot of fond memories from it. I was very sad when I heard about your brother ,when he passed ,and now it's sad to know that you did not get to know him like we did at the ranch.
Thank you for your post and God Bless each one of you.

David Rodgers
62/70
david260

Postby shyost61 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:36 pm

Thanks David for sharing your memories of my brother. It's nice to know he had friends like you at BR.

Shannon Yost
shyost61

first name: Shannon
last_name: Yost
From-To Years at BR: 1967-1977
Home: United Presbyterian Home in Waxahachie, TX

Postby Shannon » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:48 pm

Thank you again for this site you are connecting lost family members with new family members that without this site probably would never have known them. :)
Shannon

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:03 pm

We are glad you are a part of our extended family and that you found us.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Previous

Return to In Memory of Those Who Have Passed