Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

Not BR pictures

Feel free to post your past or present pictures here.

Not BR pictures

Postby Tiny » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:16 am

I found these and thought it might get other folks to post pictures of old and new.
Back in 1988 while in Pattaya Beach Thailand. This picture was actually a friend of mine getting shots of the place and I was 'just " in the shot..... :shock:
Next one is back in 1990 while stationed at NAS Alameda, Ca.

1994 in Diego Garcia

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)
Tiny

first name: Tiny
last_name: Gee
From-To Years at BR: 79~85
Home: Veigel

Postby JVizcaino » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:24 pm

Great pics Tiny. Did you say you were shore patrol? What was your billet? Are you still thin? All my service pics are of a thin dude but that's not the case now. BTW Flaco, I was asking an O-6 with a Ranger tab if he had ever been to Savannah (Hunter Army Airfiled - Ranger) and he said he never heard of it. I thought that's the problem, They're giving out what were these black Ranger berets, and people wearing these Ranger Tabs never heard of Ft. Benning or Savannah - is all this stuff just getting passed out at the door? Does it still mean anything? Can you just buy a CIB or Jump Wings and sew them on? Hmmmmmmm
JVizcaino

first name: .
last_name: .
From-To Years at BR: 22-23
Home: Booger Bear

Postby BR-69 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:06 pm

From what I remember the 1st phase was at Benning,Harmony Church
2nd phase was at Dalenna ,Georgia (MY SPELLING AI NT TOO GOOD HERE)
3rd phase was at Elgin AFB in Florida.

Things may have changed,but I dint think so.
I know they are prosecuting people for wearing tabs and patches they did not earn.

The thing with the black beret was Monica "Lips" Lewinskys idea,I guess she was talented in that there white house closet....

I have kept mine reverently for years but since they let em all wear em,I took the crest off and threw the beret away.
"A MAN GOTTA STAND FOR SOMETHING OR HE WILL FALL FOR ANYTHING"
BR-69

first name: Keith
last_name: Cargill
From-To Years at BR: 1969
Home: Jim Hill,Maynard,Rafter-R

Postby BR-69 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:18 pm

I think it is Delanegha...Georgia

I have noticed that the spell check cant spell much better than me.........
BR-69

Postby BR-69 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:35 pm

I did some checking and the school is still 3 phases
Camp Rogers/Harmony Church and Camp Darby for phase1
Delanegha,Georgia/TVD (Tennesee Valley Divide}for phase 2
Camp Rudder/Elgin AFB,Florida for phase 3
If you are assigned to a Ranger battalion you will go to Ft Lewis,WASH.These guys wear the Ranger Battalion Ribbon...it is not the same as the tab.

The E-6 you mentioned was most likely assigned to a regular Infantry unit as training Cadre.Usually this is the case with the tab.

This is the same as it was in my day... 30+ years ago.In the early years of Vietnam,Rangers trained in VIETNAM.....
BR-69

Postby JVizcaino » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:34 pm

It was an O-6 Full Bird Col. Your right about the training. First Battalion permanent duty station is at Hunter right near Savannah which is why I asked him. I never made it to Ranger school. A few guys in my cohort did go and graduate. At the time I thought why put myself out. It seems like a whole lot more pain for nothing. Only later did I realize how glorious it really would be to wear a tab. You have my respect. You may know my uncle who was with the 173rd PIR and Ranger - Bronze Star in Vietnam. He's a complete Ranger Buff. I made him a nice flag case and he was the speaker at a big Veterans day function I put together in San Bernardino. I recently saw a site that has great class shots for every class from about 1960 on. I never met a Ranger that couldn't ride a motorcycle or have two. One of them in parts.
JVizcaino

Postby Tiny » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:14 am

JVizcaino wrote: What was your billet? Are you still thin?

I was in ordnance and worked for the marines attached to MAG 42 det. Alameda. And am I still skinny/thin? that is a reasonable question. This was taken two years ago down at the stock yards in Ft. Worth.
Tiny

Postby sabor » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:15 am

Does it still mean anything? Can you just buy a CIB or Jump Wings and sew them on? Hmmmmmmm

The answer to both questions is Yes. There are a lot of people who want the shine that goes after the work to get it but do not want the riggor it takes to earn it. You can go to the clothing sales store or as on the 400 block of Hays St, Fayetteville, NC and buy any medal and ribbon you want with the exception of the CMH.

If that 06 was in support of a Ranger BN, he is authorized to wear the tab. But he must remove it after he leaves the unit. Now if he served in a Ranger unit, in any capasity, while in a combat zone, that individual can wear the tab until Hell freezes over. It is a fact that you must be Air Born Qualified to earn the Ranger Tab in peace time. But not in a war zone.

They just put a Major in Leavenworth for wearing the Ranger Tab and falsely putting the award in his 201 file so he could get promoted to Maj. He was a NG Soldier in Iraq. He added the information while on Transit from Iraq back to his California NG Unit.

I am not taking up for the 06 you talk about, I do not know him, but if you really want to find out if this guy is for real, Run his name through the system. It could be possible the guy is the real McCoy, and again he could be as phony as a three dollar bill from the git-go. He may not even be a Full Bull Col.

Field Grade Officers only need to be in a combat zone for 6 months to get it on their record. A real good example is John Kerry and Ret. Gen Merta of PA.

The only way to stop people from wearing Unauthorized medals and ribbons is to turn them in.

I went to jump school with the full intent of going the whole hog. I flunked out of jump school on my third jump. I went into the trees and screwed up both elbows. My elbows healed but there was permanent nerve damage that took my jump status. I was given a nice letter from the School Commandant, but no cigar.

I get upset when I hear about phony hero's.

Y'all Take Care
Norman

O-6
Boothill, McCormick & Western Ave. 1956-1960
sabor

Postby sabor » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:19 am

quote]Does it still mean anything? Can you just buy a CIB or Jump Wings and sew them on? Hmmmmmmm[/quote]

The answer to both questions is Yes. There are a lot of people who want the shine that goes after the work to get it but do not want the riggor it takes to earn it. You can go to the clothing sales store or as on the 400 block of Hays St, Fayetteville, NC and buy any medal and ribbon you want with the exception of the CMH.

If that 06 was in support of a Ranger BN, he is authorized to wear the tab. But he must remove it after he leaves the unit. Now if he served in a Ranger unit, in any capacity, while in a combat zone, that individual can wear the tab until Hell freezes over. It is a fact that you must be Air Born Qualified to earn the Ranger Tab in peace time. But not in a war zone.

They just put a Major in Leavenworth for wearing the Ranger Tab and falsely putting the award in his 201 file so he could get promoted to Maj. He was a NG Soldier in Iraq. He added the information while on Transit from Iraq back to his California NG Unit.

I am not taking up for the 06 you talk about, I do not know him, but if you really want to find out if this guy is for real, Run his name through the system. It could be possible the guy is the real McCoy, and again he could be as phony as a three dollar bill from the git-go. He may not even be a Full Bull Col.

Field Grade Officers only need to be in a combat zone for 6 months to get it on their record. A real good example is John Kerry and Ret. Gen Merta of PA.

The only way to stop people from wearing Unauthorized medals and ribbons is to turn them in.

I went to jump school with the full intent of going the whole hog. I flunked out of jump school on my third jump. I went into the trees and screwed up both elbows. My elbows healed but there was permanent nerve damage that took my jump status. I was given a nice letter from the School Commandant, but no cigar.

I get upset when I hear about phony hero's.

Y'all Take Care
Norman
Boothill, McCormick & Western Ave. 1956-1960
sabor

Postby JVizcaino » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:45 am

Well written Sabor. Thank you for that. It sheds light on the whole thing. People like to see a commanding officer wear the "lettuce", but it really doesn't mean much when the rounds are whizzing past your head. I'm not saying I would be any more brave or not under fire but I have to imagine there are a number of folk walking around who present a certain exterior, only to have that "front" melt real quick when the chips are down. It's an interesting topic. As far as Tiny - I ask you for a recent picture and you reach into the archives and pull out one even older than the rest. Tiny and the Missus - circa 1880. Just kidding it's a good picture. I'm sure everyone likes it. I've always wanted to take one like that. Never have.
JVizcaino

Postby Tiny » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:53 pm

get with the program man, I'm sure down in the mission you could get one of those photos done!
This is last year at our anniversary.
Tiny

Postby BR-69 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:30 pm

I used to do gunfight reenactments and powwow in the stock yards about three years ago.The stockyards can be a lot of fun.But they have let it run down a little over the last few years.
BR-69

Postby Tiny » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:30 am

BR-69 wrote:I used to do gunfight reenactments and powwow in the stock yards about three years ago.The stockyards can be a lot of fun.But they have let it run down a little over the last few years.

When I was a kid I remember the longhorns would be coming down the street, I mean long horns a whole damn herd. Last time I was there I saw like 4 long horns making there way down the street. It was good for the wife to see that stuff. Times have changed and folk ain't so interested in western ways anymore because it doesn't make'em money.
Tiny

Postby LeoWells » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:30 am

Tiny, one of the attractions I help run at Six Flags is in our "Southwest Territory," a western-themed area. Not just the buildings, but we have a gallows right in the middle, a saloon, and during Fright Fest, several shootouts each day.

The only "longhorns" we ever see are dweebs wearing UT hats, shirts, etc., and can't identify the color, the University, or where it's located.
LeoWells

Postby auminer » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:34 am

LeoWells wrote:The only "longhorns" we ever see are dweebs wearing UT hats, shirts, etc., and can't identify the color, the University, or where it's located.

The missus and I recently went to Disneyworld in Florida... over at the Animal Kingdom theme park they have this petting zoo... in this petting zoo they have a few goat, a llama, and a plain brown cow. The cow had eaten all its hay, so I grabbed a handful of the goats' hay to entice the cow closer so the wife could get a pic of us...,

As the cow sticks its tongue out to grab the handful of hay, I hear this family behind me:

Little girl: "Daddy, what's that?"

Dad: "I don't know honey, I think it's a horse..... or maybe a mule... "

Mom: "I think it's a horse."

Little girl: "Oooh...."

They were totally freakin' serious.
auminer

first name: Trenton 'TJ'
last_name: White
From-To Years at BR: 1983-1986
Home: Maynard

Next

Return to Boys Ranch Photos