Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

1960 BR Football Team - 9 wins and one lost

Feel free to post your past or present pictures here.

1960 BR Football Team - 9 wins and one lost

Postby 54-61 Guest » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:16 am

54-61 Guest

first name: Danny
last_name: Fletcher
From-To Years at BR: 54-61 Guest
Home: Unit/Ailes/Seaton

Re: 1960 BR Football Team - 9 wins and one lost

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:17 pm

Nice photo Danny. Thanks for sharing.

I only recognize a couple of the guys though.
If my memory is correct these guys should be there.
Danny Fletcher
Ronnie Wallen
Donnie Wallen
Tony Chambers
Jim Walden
Gary Hardy

I might think of a few others later. You guys are welcomed to add names and put them with the faces if you can. And if these names are wrong please correct me.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Postby Tom Weissinger » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:34 pm

I have dial up so I have not yet seen the complete picture. What I have seen, I recognized Danny, thought I saw the Wallens and isn't the dark haired #74 Israel Blanco? Did I get his name right? I haven't heard his name nor thought of him since he left the ranch. If memory serves me right, Jerry Lambright would have been the team manager the year before this photo. I started to say that he would be in this photo, but he would have graduated the school year before and I think he was the team manager. I think that I will be changing ISP soon as this one seems to be awfully slow.
Tom Weissinger
Maynard Dorm
'59-63
Tom Weissinger

first name: Tom
last_name: Weissinger
From-To Years at BR: '59-'63
Home: Maynard

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:39 pm

It is a big file. I reduced the file size and added it here so it might load faster. Click on the image for a larger photo.
Attachments
FootballTeam-1960.jpg
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Postby Tom Weissinger » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:19 pm

Okay! I have seen the whole picture now. I am not sure that the Wallens and Gary Hardy are in the picture. They might have been on the jr. varsity squad this particular year. I recognize Danny for sure in the middle, #25 the next one on the right beside Danny, Barry Smith? Immediately behind Danny, Mack Koonce? #43 on the front row, either Ronnie Jewell or Doug Ruthardt? I'm sorry for making all of these guesses, but it has been too many years for me to be able to remember all the faces. Memory tells me that David Gray should be there too. While we were at the ranch I could have told you each name.I am going to post what I have written as I have already lost two posts that i tried to enter here. I went to view the picture larger and lost them.
Tom Weissinger
Maynard Dorm
'59-63
Tom Weissinger

Postby Jeff Mitchell » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:19 am

Isn't #43 Richard Dale?
Jeff Mitchell

first name: Jeff
last_name: Mitchell
From-To Years at BR: 1958-1965
Home: Western Ave & Jim Hill Hall

Postby Tom Weissinger » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:08 pm

Jeff,

You got me. I know all the faces, just can't put the names with them anymore. I suspect that Danny could put some names with them, but he hasn't so far. Also, I feel sure Norman could put at least a few names on there, but he hasn't waded in either. That wouldn't be Norman managing the team would it?
Tom Weissinger
Maynard Dorm
'59-63
Tom Weissinger

Postby 54-61 Guest » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:21 am

Hi Tom,

I've talked with Lanny Bostwick a couple of times regarding the names of the players in the photo and he is working on completing the list. The names that I remember are as follows:

First Row (bottom, left to right): Leonard "Flip" Green, Bobby Wallen, Calvin Brown, Bobby Hardy, Toby Tucker, Richard Dale, and Mike Flannagan.

Second Row: Louis Blackburn, DR (don't remember), Ronnie Wallen, myself, Willie Fugget, DR.

Third Row: Kerry Lee, Israel Blanco, Johnny Pilgrim, Henry Honea, DR, DR.

Fourth Row: DR, Donnie Wallen, DR, Barry Smith, DR, DR, DR.

Top Row: DR, DR, Galen Hester, Doug Ruthardt, DR,DR, Marvin Hall (I believe).

Of course the coaches are Paul Stuart and Garland Rattan.

As I said, Lanny is getting a list together of all the names and I'm sure he will post them once he has gotten as many as he possibly identify. I like the way he puts the names at the bottom of the photos ..... he does a great job with brother identification.

You don't live too far away, we need to get together sometime ( I live in Rowlett).

Another Bro. Danny
54-61 Guest

first name: Danny
last_name: Fletcher
From-To Years at BR: 54-61 Guest
Home: Unit/Ailes/Seaton

Postby Tom Weissinger » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:34 am

Danny,

Thanks. I had only two right, you and Israel. I did have some of the names though and a couple that may not have even been on the team. As for Mike Flanagan, that one threw me. He was in Maynard and I do remember him being football manager I just did not remember his face at all. Also, it is surprising that I did not recognize Flip. I was in building trades the year of this photo and we decided that we would play a trick on the teacher.We decided that we would make it look like one of us got hanged but there would be a rope around the chest that would support the hangee.I was chosen to be the hangee because I was the smallest one. As it went along, someone decided that instead of faking it, we should just make it real. Flip whipped out his knife, cut the rope and kept me from being hanged for real.
Tom Weissinger
Maynard Dorm
'59-63
Tom Weissinger

Postby sabor » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:39 pm

Could #73 have been David Gray? The reason I ask is because he looks just like Freddy Gray but Freddy left before I did.
2d Row, third from the left. Dickie Weatherford or Norris Johnson's little brother, maybe.
Has any one gotten in touch with Toby Tucker and ask him. He lives out in California the last I heard. I will see if I still have his number and give it a try.
Y'all take care
Norman
Boothill, McCormick & Western Ave. 1956-1960
sabor

Postby Lan Bostwick 1958-61 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:41 pm

Here is the 1960 Football photo with all the names.........
Attachments
60FB01E.jpg
1960 Football photo with names
Lan Bostwick 1958-61
Lan Bostwick 1958-61

first name: Lan
last_name: Bostwick
From-To Years at BR: 1/6/1958-8/25/1961
Home: Boot Hill, Maynard

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:01 pm

Good job, Lan. If anyone could do it, you could-and you did! Thanks.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Postby leowells92 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:35 am

What a team that had to be. By my time, BR had losing seasons every year. Except for a few years in late 70s, BR has had perennially terrible seasons in varsity football.

With that in mind, I see that BR actually BEAT Spearman this year!!!
leowells92

Postby Tom Weissinger » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:15 pm

I got a copy that Lanny sent me and it comes up really clear. It was really good to see the picture and put all the names with the faces. Maybe I could get more memories back if the names were with the faces. I guess what I find most amazing is that I did recognize and name Israel Blanco. Doug Ruthardt and Mack Koonce should have been easy for me to recognize because they were both in Maynard with me. The neat thing about having my own copy here on my computer is that I can zoom in and out so I am able to see the faces better than before. At first I didn't recognize cha Cha because he was not wearing glasses in the pic.
Tom Weissinger
Maynard Dorm
'59-63
Tom Weissinger

Return to Boys Ranch Photos