Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

Norman James.....

Feel free to post your past or present pictures here.

Norman James.....

Postby Robert King » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:21 pm

Read the last sentence that they said......and I have this to ask....REALLY? What happened to Norman? I thought I heard he ended up in prison. Now I am not saying that because the ranch prevented him from running, he ended up in prison....because that outcome may have happened regardless. I'm just saying that the punishment probably didn't fit the crime. To be the first at BR to do something and then it is slapped away......I'm sure there was some other recourse that they could have taken. I think, if memory serves me right....and we all know it doesn't :lol: I think he got caught with snuff and this was the punishment. If anyone has the real reason he got booted from running.....would love to hear it.

Robert King
Rafter R
1976-1980
Attachments
scan0022.jpg
Robert King

first name: Robert
last_name: King

Re: Norman James.....

Postby LeoWells » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:37 pm

Robert:

Norman James died of cancer in July 1996. DK if there was ever any incarceration.
LeoWells

Postby Robert King » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:51 pm

Oh wow.....I never heard that. Geez....I'm sorry to hear that.

Thanks!
Robert King

Postby Tiny » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:17 am

LeoWells wrote:Robert:

Norman James died of cancer in July 1996. DK if there was ever any incarceration.

So that is factual about the cancer? I saw Norman at the ranch sometime in the mid 1990's and he was living on the otherside. I had heard through the BR gossip network that Norman was scamming BR....Again I am not sure if that is true or not.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)
Tiny

first name: Tiny
last_name: Gee
From-To Years at BR: 79~85
Home: Veigel

Postby Robert King » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:40 pm

You know that is sad.....I had thought that some of the guys I played sports with would have played college or Pro's. When I left, we went by my sister's in Colorado and I remember going to the b-ball courts at night and shooting around. I recall playing with some other guys and I was tearing them up.....when it was over and I was laying in the grass watching the steam float up from my face they said, you are good, do you play college? I said no, but next year when I get to college I'll try out. Well, that summer I didn't work out or shoot hoops much and when I got to college and tried out.....it only lasted 1 tryout. The next day I was sore as all get out and never went back. I ended up at the girls dorm in the waiting room...and the b-ball players were there with girl friends and they asked why I didn't go back and I told them....the one of their girlfriends called me Rufus and that nickname stuck that year......not sure if that means anything....but it was funny.
Robert King

Postby LeoWells » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:58 am

In my day in the 60s, guys from BR that aspired to play sports in college were routinely felled by the "grades" problem. BR didn't then, nor do they now take athletic or academic ability into account when considering a boy for placement.
LeoWells

Postby Robert King » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:20 pm

I can see that Leo....and that is sad. I know a LOT of guys turned out great....went on to have their own business or whatever, then there were guys that went the wrong way and ended up in prison for killing someone. I fell in between....mostly my fault....but I realize that. It's scary to think how the guys/gals are turning out now from the ranch.
Robert King

Postby MCrane » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:10 am

Yeah after Norman got out of the ranch he lived with me and my parents in Amarillo. I had just gotten out of the ranch shortly before that. I never knew of Norman getting into any trouble but he did disappear (moved on or something, i really don't remember) and I heard he had died a few years later
Mike Crane
MF Dorm 78-83
MCrane

Postby leowells92 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:13 am

Mike:

BR placement, living, and outcomes are things that folks out here in the "world" have no comprehension of. I had a school principal flat-out say to me at his desk that "of course, Leo, places like Boys Ranch always get the best and . . . ." He had no comprehension of 3-year graduation, and the mad dash to turn 18 and check themselves out.

Such a shame about Norman.
leowells92

Return to Boys Ranch Photos