Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

More Pictures, Please!

Feel free to post your past or present pictures here.

More Pictures, Please!

Postby LeoWells » Tue May 23, 2006 9:23 am

That pix of the Old Gym brought back a multitude of memories. Does anyone have decent picture of it?

Before this BBS crashed, I had a few pix of Jim Hill, before it became the Romersi parking lot. Do I need to get some more pix of Jim Hill/Maynard? Jerry, do you have any of Aills? I THINK, somewhere in my storage, I have some pix of what Aills became.

When I arrived in Jim Hill in 1962, the boys who had been in Western Ave. hadn't been there all that long. Some pix of Western would be nice.
LeoWells

Postby Guest » Tue May 23, 2006 4:06 pm

Leo,

I don't know the time line, but when I came to the ranch in '59, Jim Hill and Maynard dorms were already in use. We still had guys in Western, Hadacol and Boot Hill if memory serves me right. The one thing that I never heard was when either Jim Hill or Maynard came to be occupied. I have forgotten the sequence, but, Veigel, M.F., Edwards, Lutz and Finch were all built while I was there. I worked on construction of all the ones around the hill except for Veigel. I also worked some on the Natatorium, but not a lot. Hearing us all talk about them makes me wish I had paid more attention to the dates and order they were built in. Oh yes, Courthouse and Rotary were still in use as dorms when I got there too. The fire station was probably '62 when we dedicated it. I remember all the area volunteers coming and the fun we had pushing the ball back and forth on the cable between two fire trucks. I got to handle the nozzle for several rounds of that and managed to win each time I operated the nozzle. There were no prizes, but it was a heap of fun. One fireman told me that if I would get the ball going round and round in a circle I could get the other side off guard and then shoot the ball to the end of the cable. It worked every time.

Postby sabor » Tue May 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Welcome aboard.
My name is Norman "Sabor" Martin 1956-1960 I live in Boothill, McCormmick and Wester Ave. I worked at the barn.

Jim Hill and Vigal (I believe) were built
while I was Seaton Hall (then changed to Manerd (I believe) around the hill was there befor I got there. I think. Leo is the right man to give you the correct dates.

Again Welcome aboard.

Norman
Boothill, McCormick & Western Ave. 1956-1960
sabor

Postby Richard Amon » Tue May 23, 2006 9:04 pm

Anonymous wrote:Leo,

Rotary were still in use as dorms when I got there too. The fire station was probably '62 when we dedicated it. I remember all the area volunteers coming and the fun we had pushing the ball back and forth on every time.

The fire station was dedicatedin 63

Richard Amon
Richard Amon

Postby LeoWells » Wed May 24, 2006 11:28 am

Norman:

Seaton Hall became Aills, after Charles Aills died of a congenital heart condition.

They were finishing up on the Natatorium when I got there and on a town trip Saturday in 1962, it got dedicated, largely by filling it up with boys!
We hopped on the bus right after.

What I could use are some pix. Louie Hendircks and L. E Fitzjarrald took so many pix of us while I was there, I can't remember these gentlemen without thinking of pix.

PIX!
PIX!
PIX!!!
LeoWells

Postby sabor » Wed May 24, 2006 11:20 pm

Leo check with Cheree Gilliam at the town office. I under stant that she has boxes of picture that you can go through. It will be worth checking in to. She is good about things like that.

Norman
Boothill, McCormick & Western Ave. 1956-1960
sabor

Postby Tiny » Thu May 25, 2006 3:10 am

we had pushing the ball back and forth on the cable between two fire trucks.

Water Polo :!: Yeah we played that too when I was a V- fire department member at the ranch. I was lucky enough to attend several fire fighting courses in Lubbock and they were accredited courses at the time for the required hours toward a certification. You know those trucks were early 60 models as I recall because we'd take them out and change the oil and service them up from time to time, so were they donated at the sametime as the firehouse opening?
Tiny

first name: Tiny
last_name: Gee
From-To Years at BR: 79~85
Home: Veigel

Postby Guest » Thu May 25, 2006 2:55 pm

Tiny,

I realize that Richard has said that the fire station was dedicated in '63, but am pretty sure that he is remembering wrong because Sam Carter worked at the fire station for quite awhile before he graduated in '63 with me. He then left the ranch and eventually wound up as a firefighter in Denton, Texas. Any way, I do remember that he spent quite a bit of time at the fire station before we graduated and if the dedication had been in '62, then he would have had about a year to work at the fire station. I don't remember if the trucks were new when we got them, but am sure they were nearly new anyway. I do remember that they had just been built, so the chasis and trucks themselves were probably new as well.

You're right, they did call it water polo. It was great fun. I probably had more fun at that dedication than most any other thing I ever did while at the ranch. Maybe one exception to that would have been Sr. trip when we went to Six Flags. The park was only open to Sr.s and their dates. I have recently learned that Six Flags was only a couple of years old when we attended. I can remember how excited I was about the DFW area back when I was young. There was so much to do, so many places to go. :D

Postby Guest » Thu May 25, 2006 3:02 pm

I have been showing as guest the last couple of posts I have made. The first one I had even logged into the site before I made any posts. Like usual, I checked log me on automatically each time I visit. I was surprised to see that I had been logged as guest the next day when I logged back in and checked the board. My post above had to be posted before I could tell that I was entered as guest again. Any way, the fire station posts showing as guest were from Tom :D

Postby Tiny » Fri May 26, 2006 5:24 am

Tom,
You know when you all went to 6 flags it was relatively new back then and from my parents home they were like 20 minutes away and when I was a kid my brother and I would talk to truckers on our walky-talky on the hill looking down at I-30 (then the turnpike) Anyways you could see the red oil derrick at 6 flags real clear before all the building and additional pollution.
Tiny

Postby Tom Weissinger » Sat May 27, 2006 6:18 am

Tiny,

I can very clearly remember what it was like to see Six Flags. Used to drive out that way quite a bit.Your mentioning I-30 reminds me of what it was like to drive on the freeways back in the '60's. If you got on them around 11 oclock or later, you would pretty much have them to yourself. There was very little traffic on them, and they seemed so wide back then too. One has to remember that our national highway system was just coming into being as were freeways. I can't remember just when they fininshed it, but I-45 was not a completed roadway in the '60's. There was a goodly piece of it that had not been completed and the traffic was routed onto a two lane highway that went through every little town and had the resulting speed traps. Also, it was so busy that you would be hung up behind anyone that was not traveling at speed limit for awhile before you could find a place to pass them. What always seemed odd to me was that this stretch of uncompleted interstate was between Dallas and Houston, they were building it from both ends toward the middle.
Tom Weissinger
Maynard Dorm
'59-63
Tom Weissinger

first name: Tom
last_name: Weissinger
From-To Years at BR: '59-'63
Home: Maynard

Postby Tiny » Tue May 30, 2006 6:00 am

Tom,
So true, I can't remember how much it cost to run the turnpike but we used it allot growing up. I want to say in like 1977-78 they closed the tolls out and it was free. I used to travel with my dad when I could and driving in certain places it was usually not many cars or trucks out in different parts of Texas. Funny how times have changed. I remember 20 years ago being out at Astro World in my room and looking out the window at one of the expressways at 3 in the morning it was loaded with cars. I used to take the 5 (I-5) down to San Diego and going through the grapevine at 2-3 in the morning it too was usually pretty busy.
Tiny

Postby LeoWells » Tue May 30, 2006 8:19 am

Tiny:

Free roads are usually crowded when toll roads are nearby.

They did the right thing when they shut down the toll booths and made the D-FW turnpike into I-30. I would hope that the folks in metro Houston will do likewise.

Toll roads are abundant in Illinois. They continue to increase tool fees, and no end is in sight for their abolition.

Governor Blogo and Chicago Mayor Daley have to buy expensive cigars!
LeoWells

Postby Tiny » Tue May 30, 2006 10:19 am

Yeah I took the wrong exit off I-81 in upstate NY and got on the PA turnpike, it was like 30 miles before the first exit, I was flying and I was still being passed by cars. Where my parents still live is a stones throw from the cross of Loop 820 and I-30 of course when I was growing up that cross over wasn't there. We'd cross under I-30 in this big drain and go over into John T White and play in the woods.
You know this topic of pictures has spurred my thoughts of some of when I was growing up; I threw a lot of stuff away but I have all my annuals and my class ring and a few pictures. I regret throwing so much stuff away but I didn't have the room or the energy to keep any of it. I had awards and trophies from school I pitched.
Tiny

Postby Cheree Gilliam » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:46 pm

Richard Amon wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Leo,

The fire station was dedicatedin 63

Richard Amon

I know this is late, but I am just now getting to this point of all the messages...

There is a front page article on the Fire Station dedication & ceremonies in the July 1962 issue of the Roundup. "PANHANDLE FIREMEN PRESENT NEW FIRE FIGHTING EQUIPMENT - Ranch Has Full Protection For The First Time" ...500 gallon pumper, 300 gallon booster and a beautiful Colorado stone fire station.

Cheree Gilliam
Editor, Alumni Newsletter
chereegilliam@calfarley.org
Cheree Gilliam

Next

Return to Boys Ranch Photos