Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

Charles &Fain Kennedy

Feel free to post your past or present pictures here.

Charles &Fain Kennedy

Postby Charlie Kennedy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:50 am

[MiG]

[/list][/list][/code][/quote][/url]
Chrastmas 1952 boots are from Roy Roger
Charlie Kennedy

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:13 am

Charlie, thanks for the photo. I came to BR in 1959 & I remember seeing some boots around that had the BR brand on them. I don't remember how the kids were getting them though.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Boots

Postby pmoses » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:14 pm

I have a picture with a whole bunch of those BR boots with a rancher posing with them. I always wondered when Roy Roger donated them. I always thought it was Christmas 1956 but guess it was a few years earlier. I never saw an actual pair. Would have loved to had a pair tho.
pmoses

Postby sabor » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:03 pm

When I got there in Aug. 56. there were some still left in the warehouse but they were to little or to large. There was a lady who went on "Queen For A Day" and got every boy a radio. Another big visitor of Boys Ranch. Bob Hope. I got to talk to him when he brought a USO show to Nam. (Ben Hoa) When he found out that I was from Boys Ranch, he invited me to supper and we talked about Boys Ranch. That was when it finely dawned on me just how much Boys Ranch had done for me. That was one of my better days in Nam.
Norman
Boothill, McCormick & Western Ave. 1956-1960
sabor

Bob Hope

Postby pmoses » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:24 pm

I remember the year (early 70's I think) when Bob Hope came to Korea. His show was shown unedited over AFNTV. Half that show would never have made it in to the version shown in the states. Boy, was it "X" rated. Of course he was entertaining GI's and they ate up those off color jokes of his. I never missed a chance to see his programs. In my mind there was no greater friend to BR and GI's than people like Bob Hope and some of those WW2 era enrertainers. I count Jack Benny in the group but don't believe he ever came to BR. One thing you could depend on with Cal Farley, he would bring famous people to the ranch.
pmoses

Postby sabor » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:35 pm

Paul
Shame on you. Bob Hope never gave off colored jokes or racy shows. They were "MILITARY ORIENTATED", Military Stimulating" , Also known as "Patten Approved". I saw two of his shows in Nam and one in Panama. Plus I was fortunate to have seen him preform in the old Mess Hall. One thing that stood out through all of the times I watched him, He always seemed happy. Now Vince McMahon takes the WWE to the troops at Christmas. He pays for everything I understand.

I am trying to remember all the celebrates who came to visit at the Ranch. Give me a hand fellas. I have an old mans memory.

Norman
sabor

Postby BillPurdy66 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:49 am

I remember Governor John Connolly coming to the Ranch. I think it was the spring of '63, before he was shot in Dallas. Louie Hendricks had groups of us, grouped by city, standing in front of the Dining Hall and Mr. Farley and the Governor went from group to group while pictures were being taken. Mr. Farley was introducing each boy to the Governor. I remember Connolly remarking to Mr. Farley, while they were talking to us in the Dallas group, that the Governor wished he had Mr. Farley's memory for names.

Don't remember the year, but I recall Paul Harvey landing on the track field in a helicopter to have lunch with us. He mentioned his visit on his radio program for several days after he left. For years, I've always smiled whenever I chance on his broadcasts.

I also remember "Exes" being introduced in the Dining Hall. They were always treated like visiting royalty, particularly on those occasions when one of the guys from the '30's and '40's came to visit.

I also remember the time that Mr. Farley decided to sit at our table for lunch. While we usually wolfed down our food and raced out to goof-off, on that occasion we dragged lunch out until Mrs. Willis came along and shooed us out the door so that they could collect the dishes. Not an unusual occurrence when Mr. Farley ate with the boys, as I recall.

Anyone got some more memories to share?

Bill Purdy
Edwards '62-'66
BillPurdy66

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:14 am

I remember when Governor John Connelly visited & when Paul Harvey visited.

I also remember the ex's being introduced ithe dining hall. Many times they would stay overnight in one of the dorms. Several times ex's stayed in my dorm-they probably stayed where there was an empty bed.

I remember a trip to the Dallas Cowboys practice when we were at the fair for FFA. We were all personally introduced to Tom Landry & his staff.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Postby sabor » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:33 pm

I remember Jimmy Wakely coming out one time. I have an autograph picture of him. I had forgotten about it until one day I was going through some old pictures my mother had. I got them after she died. One time we went to the Fair in Amarillo and watched Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys. They also played at one of the BR Rodeo's. There was always some small groups touring around the country that would stop and put on a show for us.

Take care
Norman
sabor

Return to Boys Ranch Photos