Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

friends

Feel free to post your past or present pictures here.

friends

Postby Charlie Kennedy » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:30 am

David Gaunder &Fain Kennedy
Charlie Kennedy

photo

Postby pmoses » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:54 am

When was this photo taken and where are you guys standing. Looks like an older photo because of the wooden buildings in the background.
pmoses

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:33 am

It looks like Rotary in the left background with the cooler above the windows.

So, maybe that's Boothill in the right background?
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Postby Charlie Kennedy » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:55 pm

It was taken below boothill in front of hadacol
Charlie Kennedy

Postby sabor » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:42 pm

That is the old Mess Hall with the "Swamp Coolers in the windows". For some reason I just can't call it anything else. Ate a lot of meals there.

Do any of you guys remember the retired gentleman who lived in the apartment on the east end of Boot Hill. He used to let us watch Baseball with him.
I am wanting to say retired Painter.
Norman
Boothill, McCormick & Western Ave. 1956-1960
sabor

Postby LeoWells » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:28 pm

The old retired gentleman was Mr. Locke, maybe a painter, but could have been a retired carpenter. He died when I was in the 6th grade and all the building trades guys went to the funeral. They named one of the softball fields after him.
LeoWells

Postby sabor » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:22 pm

I was noticing that the road at the bottom of the hill to the south of Boot Hill looks as if it had not been cut yet. The road connected the top half of BR with the warehouse and maintenance,Building and Trades and welding shops. So I am guessing the picture must have been taken around 52 or maybe 53.
Just thinking out loud.
Norman
sabor

Postby Jeff Mitchell » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:30 pm

Sabor,

Look at the car parked near Boot Hill on the hill. Now that would not hold true for this day and age. People are bring back all the old cars. :)

Jeff
Jeff Mitchell

first name: Jeff
last_name: Mitchell
From-To Years at BR: 1958-1965
Home: Western Ave & Jim Hill Hall

Postby Tom Weissinger » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:23 pm

Guys

I have been unable to see this picture any way other than the size it shows here on our site. When I click to enlarge it all I see is a red x in the box on the next screen and waiting does not change that.

From what I can see, the road behind them is not a road, but a trail we used to go up and down the hill on foot. So I agree with Norman that the road behind the dining hall had not been cut at the time of this picture. Also agreeing with Norman, that is the old dining hall, Rotary Hall, to the left of Boothill.

Leo is correct about Mr. George Locke. He was the painter that retired and had an apartment just east of Boothill and a little north of it. To my knowledge, he never was a carpenter there, just the painter. And Norman is right, Mr. Locke was an avid baseball fan. He knew more about baseball than anyone else I ever met. He could quote stats on most any player you could name. He had also personally met Babe Ruth. When he died, I was thinking that all the ranchers that wanted attended his funeral. I could be wrong on that one. It also seems that the entire dorm of Maynard went and that we were honorary pall bearers. I definitely remember the last part. Seems that Veigel boys were also honorary pall bearers too. He did indeed get a ball field named after him.
Tom Weissinger
Maynard Dorm
'59-63
Tom Weissinger

first name: Tom
last_name: Weissinger
From-To Years at BR: '59-'63
Home: Maynard

Postby sabor » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:03 am

You can add Mr. George Locke to the list of influential Staff Members. He also had an old Chevrolet that he donated to the Ranch. It was used for a paint truck. A 49 or 50, four door I believe. We used to try and stump him. Never did.

Norman
sabor

Postby sabor » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:29 pm

Look at the car parked near Boot Hill on the hill.

I am going to make a "WAG" and say that car is either a 1949 or 1950 Ford.

My second ride after leaving the Ranch was a 1951 Ford Crown Victoria. Loved that car. Had a falling out with my brother-in-law and he took the car away from me. He co-signed for the car. That was the last time anyone ever put their name on anything I bought. An awaking and lasting experience.
Norman
sabor

Postby pmoses » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:56 pm

Sabo, for an "old" man you have pretty good eyes. Looks like a 49-50 Ford to me also. In a previous post I mentioned a painter I worked for, it had to be Mr Locke. He taught me more about painting than I could have ever learned from anyone else. I still use the techniques he taught me almost 50 years ago. My gosh, has it been that long? Think I'll get a "hot toddy".
pmoses

Return to Boys Ranch Photos