Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

1966 Bull Rider Danny Stout

Feel free to post your past or present pictures here.

1966 Bull Rider Danny Stout

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:56 pm

From the 50 years book.

Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:57 pm

Tiny

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2006 03:39 am

Now that is a great shot, That is really cool I bet that was quiet a ride Exclamation Shocked
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2006 09:48 am

Strange.

That was some jump, but the first rodeo I ever attended, '59, there was a bull that went over the fence into the crowd. Maybe they meant the highest with all four feet off the ground at one time? Very Happy
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2006 04:04 am

I remember the bull that went over the fence. While everyone scattered, the bull just stood there until we put a rope around his neck and walked him back to the catch pens. I think the bull was a scared as all the people in the stands. Some one got a picture of that , I don't remember who. I am thinking Lamont Waldrip.
Norman
56-60
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Let me get the depends! lol..

Postby jessie26 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:12 pm

After all these years I only THOUGHT Terry Elliott has the best ride. Looking at that photo it made me rethink my assumtion. I remember Terry's Ride, I remember Larry Laidler's ride. I remember the year that Aarron Alahondro rode that big White bull. But what I would have given to be able to see that ride. I guess when I was at the ranch our bulls were rank, but not that rank. 78-88. One thing I don't see is a chest vest, or a softball helment to cover his face. I also don't see NO girls, Oh! Yes! that's right it was BOYS RANCH! Thank goodness for the good old days. I aint got nothing against girls, but if Cal Farley ment to have a girl at the ranch, He would have.
I am a writer now with good intention but lousy spelling. lol. I compete professionaly in dancing and placed 4th in the Nation and 8th in the world in Novis division (Linedancing)1998!
grasshopper78-88 M.F dorm
jessie26

Postby sabor » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:49 am

Does any one remember that ol skinney cow that was with the rodeo stock in 1959. Riding that cow was like riding a razerblade. You felt like her backbone would cut you in half. I drew that ol cow and made one jump out the gate. But what was really humilleating was the way she would stop and look at you after she dumped you. She did not throw you she dumped you. I won the bearback riding that year. I got 98+ ,I walked around with a swelled head for a long time talking s--t . We had our glory as well as our humiliation.
Norman

I've got some old picture and as soon asI get this picture sending figured out I will post them.

Norman
Boothill, McCormick & Western Ave. 1956-1960
sabor

Postby david260 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:34 pm

I think two years prior to Danny Riding Satin, Soapy Dallor Rode him and won the all around on him. I was good friends with Danny and I still remember this ride to this day. Satin is coming down when this photo was shot. When Soapy rode him, he spun a lot more that jumped high but both ride were amazing feats.
Does anyone know what ever happened to Danny. I'd like to hear from him.
david260

Postby LeoWells » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:39 pm

David:

The language arts teacher in me must now enter. SATIN is a type of fabric that feels very smooth. SATAN is the name of a fallen angel, and also of a very mean Brahma bull used at BR in the 1960s
LeoWells

Postby david260 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:34 pm

Leo if I made that mistake at work I would have got it back circled in red ink. I need to proof read my post. I'm glad my wife didn't see it or I would have been put in time out. She is 4th grade teacher. :D
david260

Postby sabor » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:44 pm

I am glad to see that I am not the only person on this site that needs "Spell Check" :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Norman
sabor

Postby Jeff Mitchell » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:45 am

Norman Martin wrote:I am glad to see that I am not the only person on this site that needs "Spell Check"
Norman

You got that one right.

Now we need to send it to Leo, if he is going to start correcting our spelling, he better watch how he spell "school". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Jeff Mitchell

first name: Jeff
last_name: Mitchell
From-To Years at BR: 1958-1965
Home: Western Ave & Jim Hill Hall

Postby LeoWells » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:51 am

Yas, az eh skool tchur, aye kneed two spel korrectly.
LeoWells

Postby Jeff Mitchell » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:14 pm

I know that's right!! :twisted:
Jeff Mitchell

first name: Jeff
last_name: Mitchell
From-To Years at BR: 1958-1965
Home: Western Ave & Jim Hill Hall

Postby MCrane » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:15 am

Norman Martin wrote:Does any one remember that ol skinney cow that was with the rodeo stock in 1959. But what was really humilleating was the way she would stop and look at you after she dumped you. She did not throw you she dumped you.

I dont remember that bul but I do remember one we hd about the whole time I was there called "Hamburger" To look at that thing you would have thought your days were numbered till you had to ride that thing. It was a really big bull (Fat) The funny thing was though that he wouldnt buck worth a hoot. Sometimes he wouldnt hardly buck at all. I saw people ride him and he would just stop and not move. the rider would have to just step off and shoo him into the derigging chute. No telling why they kept using him.
Mike Crane
MF Dorm 78-83
MCrane

Postby sabor » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:38 am

I remember a good bucking bull that was left for us to practuse on and we tamed him and wound up using him for a clown bull. The guy who owned him was pertty mad at us for a while. Untill butler brothers wanted to buy him for a clown bull . He brought more money than a good bucking bull.
We trained a couple of more after that. We had a saddle on him and everything. Those were the good days.

Norman
sabor

Satan? I don't think so

Postby JimCanada » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:04 am

Gentlemen:
I remember that day, as I was a senior and had drawn that same bull, but with MUCH different results, in a practice. I truly believe it was '65 but could be wrong. The bull in the photo, I believe came two years following Satan. I think that is one we called Merry-go-Round and Stout put a hell'uva ride on him. In my own "debut" on him, I made the first jump, took the spin pretty well, then he shoved my head into the chute (#8, I think but things got blurry about then). Dale Edwards and Peggram laced him up and drug him into the de-rigging alley while Jackie Stinnet drug me out of the arena.
After that first jump, he'd draw back through himself and spin into the chutes. From that vantage point, he's put on a real show and spin through those seconds. It was hard to tell just which end his head was attached to because BOTH ENDS were coming at you all at once!
You'd have to find Stout to find out just which one this bull is, but I'm think it's Merry-go-Round.
I'd like another of you geriatrics to check that for me, but atleast I remember the day.
Jim
JimCanada

Bull Ride

Postby rcsarp » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:32 am

I remember the names of only two rodeo bulls at BR. The first was Elvis. I think he was from the Larry Pickford and Danny Fletcher days. The other was Satan. I remember Soapy's ride that won him the bull riding competition that year. When the buzzer sounded he was high in the air and right next to the fence. He simply let go and grabbed the fence. Satan dropped out from under him. The promo before Soapys ride from Mr. Harriman was, "The unthrowable Soapy on the unridable Satan." That day, Soapy won. It was quite a ride.

Does any one remeber the bull Elvis? Big, redish brown and tan bull, as I remember him. It was from the early 60's. It seems to me he made it to the big time after BR.
Bobby Sarpalius '60-'67
rcsarp

first name: Bobby
last_name: Sarpalius
From-To Years at BR: 1960-1967
Home: Jim Hill

Next

Return to Boys Ranch Photos