Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

1966 Bull Rider Danny Stout

Feel free to post your past or present pictures here.

Postby sabor » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:13 am

Do any of you guys remember the guy that furnished the rodeo stock for the late 50's and early 60's.

Anyway I rode some of his stock after I left the ranch at Panhandle, Hereford and a couple of other small rodeo's around the Texas Panhandle and Oklahoma. Even if you didn't win, The dances after the rodeo was fun.
Norman
Boothill, McCormick & Western Ave. 1956-1960
sabor

Rodeo Stock

Postby JimCanada » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:05 am

Butler Brothers furnished the stock for several years.
JimCanada

Postby david260 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:53 am

There was one guy by the name of Tom Harland that furnished some stock. He was the guy who would show up during the rodeo and help in the arena.
david260

Postby david260 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:53 pm

Bobby Sarpalius, the next time you talk to your brother Karl, ask him if he would like to see his last bareback ride. I think this was our last rodeo when he went into the fence and the best I can remember, he broke his shoulder. My wife had an old 8mm tape put on VHS and Karl's ride is on the tape. Let me know and I'll get it copied and send it to him.

David Rodgers
62/70
david260

Postby Tom Weissinger » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:55 pm

Bobby,

I have answered several times here, but not a one of them would post. I will try again.

You mentioned Elvis and thought that he was around the time of Larry Pickford. You are pretty correct, but not quite. Larry had won the all around title and left the ranch before Elvis appeared for rodeo. His first year was 1963. I remember it very well because he was one of three mean bulls that all of us wanted to have a chance to ride. No. 90 was the second of these three and I have been unable to remember the name of the third bull.

Alan Reeves drew Elvis on Monday an managed to get past the first jump out of the chute. That first jump is where most riders lost it on Elvis. He would jump real high and then just shake his whole body, most riders ended their ride right there on that jump. Because of the way he would shake is the reason he was called Elvis. Anyway, Alan made it past the first jump and then went on to make probably the best bull ride I have ever seen and winning first in bulls.

I managed to draw No. 90 for one of our elimination rides. No. 90 was a mean bull and would always chase anyone in the arena. He even took the horse out from under two different pick up men. One of those was David's dad, Garland. I made a full eight seconds and then found a time to jump off. No. 90 went to the north end of the arena, turned and started back my way. He passed three men, passed me and the rest of us in the arena, stopped at the derigging chute gate because it closed. When the gate opened, he went out of the arena. That was the only time No. 90 cleared the arena without chasing everyone or causing a bunch of trouble.

I placed fourth in bulls and broncs, but won the all around title because everyone that placed above me in bulls or broncs either placed below me in the other event, or they only rode one event leaving me with the highest overall score. Looking back, I wish I had made a profession out of rodeo. It really was my sport.
Tom Weissinger
Maynard Dorm
'59-63
Tom Weissinger

first name: Tom
last_name: Weissinger
From-To Years at BR: '59-'63
Home: Maynard

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:23 pm

I'm remembering that Elvis was there in 1962...not positive though. He was already a legend by the time Alan rode him in '63.

I was second in the bareback in '63 & '64. I don't remember who was first in '63. I think Soapy Dollar was first in bareback in '64.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Postby david260 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:51 pm

I don't mean to brag but I once rode Satan to a stand still. Not many people remember this but I'm not one to remind everyone. I think I rode him for 10 sec . About the time I thought he had enough, Lamont Waldrip opened the gate and I grabbed the fence and let go.
david260

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:02 pm

I wasn't a bad bull rider but never really got a good bull...and I was scared to death of Elvis. I was soooo grateful I didn't draw him.

I used to do pretty good in the bars in the late 70's & early 80's when the mechanical bulls were the in thing. Lots of free drinks... :wink:
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Postby david260 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:54 am

I still have two trophies from riding in the rodeo and an 8mm video of the last bull I got on. The last year I was there we had a bull that threw everyone. The first day of the rodeo someone rode this bull finally, I think it was Dicky Hinton. So the next day I asked Mr. Busby if he could line the same bull up for me. Well he did but something was different and he didn't buck very well and I didn't even place on him. I think he was upset about being ridden the day before. Rodeo was a great sport for me and I was on the Honor Patrol three times and had a blast.

Later Guys it's great to think back to when we were kids.

David Rodgers 62/70
david260

BR Rodeo

Postby JVizcaino » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:55 pm

I just got back from the rodeo and boy and I excited. I had the best time with Jerry Nicholson and my little brother Chris. That's a picture of him riding in on his scooter. I'm so proud of him. He went to Iraq twice as a field doctor for the Marines. Also, even though Nicholson is a Marine and I rode with the 82nd Airborne, I still let him ride with me. Or did he let me ride with him? Anyhow we had a helluva time. I included a few shots taken by my best friend Lee Kirgan. He skipped the soft lens and complimentary color softners to show me in my true light - 68 pounds past my wrestling weight and needing a shave real bad. I won a wrestling singlet in the silent auction at the Saturday reception with the number 6 marked under the tag. No one believed me that I wrestled number six weight (132) Varsity for Boys Ranch 1984 and 85. If anyone wants to dispute it let him present himself. Otherwise that was the exact same singlet I wore 20plus years ago and can only fit one leg into today. The other picture is of our Boys Ranch darling Amy Adams. The famous daughter of one coach "Lefty" Adams - God rest his soul. I was so thrilled to see her and Benji and Greg and Mrs Adams. The Waldrips were there and so many people made the whole thing so darn fun. Hats off to Aaron and Tom Maynard and and the rest of the crew that made this the best reunion ever. Word is out that in spite of any naysayers or just plain grumpy "haters" the association is better than it has ever been. 100 thousand - that's correct $100,000 American greenbacks were raised at the reception thanks to Mike Rogers the Sarpaulis Family and so many others that worked the crowd in a friendly/fun way. Hell they wanted me to go put the wrestling singlet on and model it but it wouldn't fit. My friends you missed the spirit of Boys Ranch at it's finest. Hope to see you there at the next one. Take care and see you soon. Visit me in San Diego. I'm in the book.

Jess Vizcaino
Class of 85

I couldn't post the pics because I need to have two minimum posts before i CAN UPL;OAD PICS.
JVizcaino

first name: .
last_name: .
From-To Years at BR: 22-23
Home: Booger Bear

2007 Rodeo Pics

Postby JVizcaino » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:59 pm

Here are those pics - credits to Lee Kirgan Photography in Austin Texas. It's great to have your own photographer as a great friend.

JVizcaino

Postby JVizcaino » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:08 pm

Jess Vizcaino here.

A shot of my little brother pulling up to the ranch on his bike. He graduated in 93 from Finch.

Another shot of me telling a lady about how I won Senior Bulls in 1984. My old roomate Wayne Obrien won Broncs and Jerry Buller got third in Senior Bulls. We swept the Rodeo that year and won the All Sports trophy. Thanks to Mark Hill. Buller - don't forget I beat you. I wore that Men of Calvary shirt you gave me few years back to the Rodeo on Sunday. Pray for me brother.

JVizcaino

Postby Tiny » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:54 am

Great update Jess,
Thanks for sharing the pictures and everything!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)
Tiny

first name: Tiny
last_name: Gee
From-To Years at BR: 79~85
Home: Veigel

Postby sabor » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:52 pm

Jess Vizcaino Said.

(132) Varsity for Boys Ranch 1984 and 85.

For all of you guys who saw me, Norman "Sabor" Martin at the rodeo, believe it or not My senior year at Boys Ranch I wrestled at 124 (now 340)
Shoot you guys ain't fat.

I was looking for a picture but lost it some where in my computer and can't find it now. Will post it as soon as I find it.

Take care
Norman
sabor

Postby sabor » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:53 pm

Forgot, that was 1959-1960 school year.
:oops:

Norman
sabor

PreviousNext

Return to Boys Ranch Photos