Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

Jerry Nicholson LAPD Retired

Feel free to post your past or present pictures here.

Jerry Nicholson LAPD Retired

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:03 pm

These were taken the day before I retired in 2005 with 34 years 7 months of service. I wasn't expecting to have an inspection of the watch that day, but in my honor they insisted. As you can see, I am the only one not in a class A uniform for the inspection. I suspected something was up when I arrived at roll call and everyone was wearing their class A uniform.

A group photo of the WVAL Patrol Day Watch. This is actually only 1/3 of the watch due to the 3-12 schedule.

A presentation of the draft my final work sheet after roll call with all of my hand written changes. A final would be printed with these changes.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Postby Tiny » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:13 am

Well done on your service to the community Jerry!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)
Tiny

first name: Tiny
last_name: Gee
From-To Years at BR: 79~85
Home: Veigel

Postby Tiny » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:53 am

Jerry did you know Ken Osmond, while you were on the force?
http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entne ... 40000.html
Tiny

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:28 am

Tiny wrote:Jerry did you know Ken Osmond, while you were on the force?
http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entne ... 40000.html

Yes I knew Kenny. We worked together off & on in the late 70's & early 80's while assigned to motorcycles. Kenny was a real nice guy. Nothing at all like "Eddie" in the Beaver show. It was really funny because almost everywhere we ate people would come up and get his autograph. He was very gracious about it and always made them feel good.

Kenny was working in the Rampart section one night with Henry Lane when they were flagged down by a cab driver who told them someone just stole his cab. Just after that they saw the cab and chased it for several minutes. The cab either crashed or became disabled and the driver took off on foot with Kenny & Henry chasing.

Foot pursuits are very difficult for motor officers because of the riding boots they wear. So the crook had a little bit of a lead on Kenny & Henry was trailing Kenny. The crook ran up some steps & into an apartment house with Kenny about 30 feet behind. By the time Kenny got to the door it was closed. He opened the door and ran inside three or four steps. The crook was waiting inside and shot Kenny three times with a .357 mag.. Just as the shooting stopped and Kenny was going down, Henry burst in and had a shoot out with the crook & introduced him to Satan.

Back then very few of us wore bullet proof vests because it was so big, bulky, & uncomfortable. Fortunately, Kenny had his vest on that night. He took one round in the chest, one in the stomach, and one hit his belt buckle deflecting away without penetrating his body. He did get several small pieces of lead under the vest in the skin of his waist which did very little damage.

Henry got the medal of valor for saving Kenny. Kenny was in the hospital for awhile with some nasty bruising from the impact of the rounds, but the vest saved his life. He was off duty several weeks. Not long after he returned to work they saw a security guard with gun drawn chasing someone in the same area. The guard couldn't speak English but they gathered the suspect had shoplifted something from a store. Kenny rode his motorcycle up onto the sidewalk and was closing in on the crook when the security guard fired 5-6 shots at the bad guy. Kenny could hear the rounds as they whizzed by his ears.

After this close call he was an emotional wreck and as far as I know never came back to work. He eventually received a disability pension. I saw Kenny this summer at a motor reunion which we hold every 5 years. I did not get a chance to speak with him, but he looked well, still slim and a little gray like so many of us.

Sorry for rambling on here with old war stories. As you know the difference between a fairy tale and a war story is one begins with "Once upon a time", while the other starts, "This is no s**t."
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Postby Tiny » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:35 am

Several thoughts here:
1. What a small world
2. hearing about a real story who we all saw on T.V. growing up is actually really cool
3. I can’t blame him for leaving the force after the last situation.
I'm glad you shared that that is pretty cool to know and I was just surfing the net when I found that story.
Tiny

Postby JVizcaino » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:53 am

Great story Nicholson - RE: Ken Osmond. The other question is - were all those meals with Ken comped? I'm guessing yes for two reasons:

Celebs always gets comps
Uniformed Officers always get comped

I told you guys Nicholson could spin a yarn.
JVizcaino

first name: .
last_name: .
From-To Years at BR: 22-23
Home: Booger Bear

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:06 am

Amazing how the memory fails one at times. For years when I remember this story my memory is that Henry shot the crook. I just read some Internet stuff on it and he actually beat the guy with his empty revolver.

In today's LAPD, he would not get a medal, but rather a suspension or firing for using his revolver as a club on some poor crook. Did you know the LAPD can't carry metal flashlights any more. They have all been issued these dinky little flashlights to use... :shock:
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:08 am

JVizcaino wrote:Great story Nicholson - RE: Ken Osmond. The other question is - were all those meals with Ken comped? I'm guessing yes for two reasons:

Celebs always gets comps
Uniformed Officers always get comped

I told you guys Nicholson could spin a yarn.

Some meals were at 1/2 price. We always left the other 1/2 as a tip. I avoided places that gave free meals.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Postby pmoses » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:39 pm

I suppose you were on the job at least 25 years before pulling the pin. Was it hard to return to "civilian" life? Usually, those who work in law enforcement for a long time find they can't get the blue out of their blood. I was like that after 20 years in the Military Police. I have been a ciivilian at the Richland CountySheriff's Department for 241/2 years now. I just love working along side men and women that put themselves between the good and bad folks. I'm not a wanna be, police work now is a young persons business and I'm happy just to support the deputies. At any rate the fact you retired as a Lt speaks highly of you. The LAPD is the premier police agency in America. Did you ever think you would wind up a cop while at BR?
pmoses

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:00 pm

Paul, I probably surprised a lot of folks. I never really thought much about it while at BR. I really wanted to be a basketball coach and thought I would probably end up as a teacher.

I spent 4 years in the USMC Aug 66- Aug 70. I was in aviation and worked avionics (com/nav) on F4B's. When I came back from Viet Nam I had a year left on my enlistment. At that time the war was winding down and the marines were letting non-critical MOS personnel out up to 12 months early. I couldn't get out early because I was in a critical MOS.

Anyway, I was stationed at MCAS El Toro in Tustin, Ca. When I checked in they asked me if I could type. When I said no they told me I was going to be an MP. That is how I got a taste for law enforcement. When I got out of the marines the LAPD was hiring and I was lucky enough to get hired. I still loved it 34 1/2 years later when I retired.

I also started coaching basketball when my son began playing in the park at age 8. I continued to coach as he moved up and eventually got a coaching job in a different high school than where my son played. The last few years before I retired I wasn't able to coach because we were on 3-12 shifts. After I retired I was sitting around the house and my wife asked me why didn't I try to get a coaching job. So I did.

I am the head Frosh/Soph, asst JV, and asst Varsity coach at Campbell Hall a private school in North Hollywood. I was really lucky to get hired there and I have learned a lot from the head coach and the other coaches. Last year our varsity won the Ca State Div IV championship, It was quite an honor. We should make a run on the title again this year.

I have been very blessed to be able to do the things that I love in life.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Postby sabor » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:55 pm

Have you guys ever heard that phrase "You can never find a cop when you want one."

My second tour in Nam I was sent to Fort Sam in San Antonio. They had no Armor, so I was attached to the 52 MP Det. for about 10 months. I enjoyed it while I was there, even thought about changing my MOS. The Army said "no" so when everything got straightened out I was sent to German and put to work in Armor where I belonged.

I did not have much trouble fitting back into the civilian world.I retired in Germany and went to work for the military as a GS 12.
Not a bad gig.
Norman
Boothill, McCormick & Western Ave. 1956-1960
sabor

Postby Tiny » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:34 am

You are right being a copper is a young persons job and around here these kids working for the sheriff and state police are young, bitching about making 42K and having a unit to use 24/7 on and off the clock..... :roll:
Tiny

Postby JVizcaino » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:39 pm

Nicholson

You should run for public office. Your honest and a mans man. Plus you deal well with the political bullshit and nothing phases you. People would vote for you. Keep the Marine stuff quiet though because a lot of Army fans have issues with the whole leatherneck Hoo-Rah stuff. Other than that you're a regular Don Quixote looking for his next windmill. Don't die until you're dead. You still have another career in you. Think about what you and the missus would look like on a campaign mailer - I'm telling you people would vote for you. Jerry Nicholson for Mayor - A Candidate Worthy of Your Consideration!
JVizcaino

first name: .
last_name: .
From-To Years at BR: 22-23
Home: Booger Bear

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:33 pm

JVizcaino wrote:Nicholson

You should run for public office.

I thought you were my friend! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Postby sabor » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:44 am

The best way for a man to become corrupt is to run for office. In California the best way for a military man to run for office is with a Tank Battalion backing you up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Norman
Boothill, McCormick & Western Ave. 1956-1960
sabor

Next

Return to Boys Ranch Photos