Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

More Rodeo Pictures

Feel free to post your past or present pictures here.

Postby Jeff Mitchell » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:19 pm

Happy Belated Birthday Tom. Glad to here it was a great day for you.
And like Jerry, I'll be 60 next year too.
Jeff Mitchell

first name: Jeff
last_name: Mitchell
From-To Years at BR: 1958-1965
Home: Western Ave & Jim Hill Hall

Postby sabor » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:22 am

Alright guys, all together.
1,2,3, Go

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Tom
Happy birthday to you
And mannnyyyyy moooore

Take care Tom.

Norman
Boothill, McCormick & Western Ave. 1956-1960
sabor

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:56 am

Remember those big ole sheet cakes & ice cream we used to get on our birthdays?
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Postby Tiny » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:47 am

Yeah we had two brothers exactly one year apart and had the same B-day a week before mine so the month of March was a good time for cake and ice cream :lol:
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)
Tiny

first name: Tiny
last_name: Gee
From-To Years at BR: 79~85
Home: Veigel

Postby Tom Weissinger » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:45 pm

I just found out yesterday that I work with the son of an alumni. The young man's name is Eric Thomas. His dad is Dan Thomas and his uncle is Joe Thomas. Some of yuu older guys probably remember them? Eric has not gotten in touch with Dan yet, he was not home yesterday evening so Eric was not able to tell him that he found he works with an ex-rancher. Eric thought it was so cool to find that I was an ex. He heard me mention Amarillo in a conversation and he asked if I knew about Cal Farley's Boys Ranch. I told him not only did I know about it, I grew up there! He was speechless for a couple of seconds and then he could not get over it. :D :D :D :D :D
Tom Weissinger
Maynard Dorm
'59-63
Tom Weissinger

first name: Tom
last_name: Weissinger
From-To Years at BR: '59-'63
Home: Maynard

Postby LeoWells » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:27 pm

OK, Dan Thomas was in Jim Hill with us and arrived while we were on BMA trip in July 63.

The last time I saw Dan was in the bus going down to BMA camp in 1972. We were going southeast down Stemmons Freeway in Dallas and Dan drove up along side of the bus, yelling out. I was the only one on the bus that knew him, and it was great to see him. He was always a straight up fellow.

The world is such a small place.
LeoWells

Postby sabor » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:46 pm

There was Two (2) Joe Thomas
One was called Big Joe who was from The Dallas area. He worked in the Mess Hall with Mr. Jenkins. When he left he joined the Army, I believe.
The other "Joe Thomas" was a younger guy. We called him Little Joe. I'm not sure where he came from. Around the Amarillo area Maybe. He had been there a while before "Big Joe" came to the ranch. I understand he ("Little Joe") grew up and drove in heavy equipment. I am not sure where he went.

Tom the next time you talk to that young man, Ask him if his uncle was "Big Joe" or "Little Joe" I'll bet he will get a kick out of asking his uncle that question.

Take Care
Norman
sabor

Postby LeoWells » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:01 am

Norm:

The Thomas brothers that were in Jim Hill were from Dallas. Joe left in 62. Dan arrived in 63. I believe these guys are the ones whose son/nephew Tommy got to meet.
LeoWells

Postby sabor » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:38 am

Leo,
I'm not sure if Big Joe had a brother or not and I was thinking he he joined the Army in 61. He became a recruiter. Lanny should have some records on both Big Joe Thomas and Little Joe Thomas. Little Joe lived in the Court House when I got there in 56.

Take Care
Norman
sabor

Postby sabor » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:40 am

Leo,
I'm not sure if Big Joe had a brother or not and I was thinking he joined the Army in 61. He became a recruiter. Lanny should have some records on both Big Joe Thomas and Little Joe Thomas. Little Joe lived in the Court House when I got there in 56.

Take Care
Norman
sabor

Postby Tiny » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:00 am

Speaking of pictures isn't there anymore from Amarillo? :idea: I figured---> there might have been more of folks who attended :?: Am I mis-understood :?:
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)
Tiny

first name: Tiny
last_name: Gee
From-To Years at BR: 79~85
Home: Veigel

Johnson Home 2003

Postby sassysign » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:17 pm

We were houseparents in 2003. All of the boys should be graduated by now, but it was an experience that could not be traded. Those young men were a special part of my life. They cared and were ready.javascript:emoticon(':shock:')
sassysign

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:39 pm

Hi Sassysign and welcome to our family forum. It is a real pleasure to have you here. Please go to the new member's thread and tell us a little about yourself and your time as a staff parent at BR.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Re: More Rodeo Pictures

Postby Tom Weissinger » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:03 am

Boy, this is really weird. I was looking at the member area and saw sassysign as a member, hadn't heard of this member and clicked to see what they had posted. When it all loaded, there was nothing from sassysign, but I did see a pic posted by Norman that I wanted to say something about so I clicked on reply and started making a reply, somehow hit a wrong key and the next thing I knew it had already posted my partial reply. I backtracked to find it and correct and finish it and I find there are messages that did not show the first time including the one from sassysign.

Anyway, I started to reply and say that I thought I recognized Frank Richardson in the pic he posted. If I am right, Frank is the second from right, next to top row. Any of you old timers check and see if you think I am right. While I know that I knew every one of these guys, the only one I think I recognize is Frank. I was also wanting to say that I felt Jerry was right when he said that while we were at the ranch that all the staff seemed so old to us then. The ones that that seemed so old to me back then were Mr. Wilson, Mr. Johnson and Mr. Woods. Oh yes, and Jack the barber and maybe a couple of others that just are not coming into clear focus in my memory at the moment. I guess, Mr. Bagley would be one of those too, and Mr. Norman. Maybe even Mr. Smith who was superintendant of the schood district when I arrived at the ranch, but I probably considered him old because he was bald. (of course, I was only 12 then)

I will talk with Eric Thomas and see if his dad minds if I have his phone number and then maybe we can straighten out the "Big Joe", "Little Joe" controversy. While this thread was fresh, I never saw any of this or I would have replied way back then. If I remember right, Eric has said that uncle Joe lives up either in Amarillo, or not far away, so maybe I could even get his number and find out direct from him which "Joe" he is. I am sure that he would know.
Tom Weissinger
Maynard Dorm
'59-63
Tom Weissinger

Re: More Rodeo Pictures

Postby Tom Weissinger » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:10 am

Well, part of the mystery is solved, when it loaded the first time it loaded the first page only and I did not know there was a second page, when my reply above posted, I saw that it was on page two. Even when I was making my post I did not know there was a page two.
Tom Weissinger
Maynard Dorm
'59-63
Tom Weissinger

PreviousNext

Return to Boys Ranch Photos