Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

I once had a pet......

this is for folk who have or had pets and want to share them with us

Moderator: Tiny

I once had a pet......

Postby Robert King » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:39 pm

We had guide duty and I ended up touring two older guys around the ranch....funny thing is though, they knew more about the ranch than me. At the end, the bought me a lot of candy and asked if I was allowed to have a dog....I said yes and they brought me out a little dog that looked like Benji so I named him Benji. Christopher at one point didn't think I was taking care of it and gave it to....I think Frank Morgan.....Frank was on the laundry crew and always too that dog with him....Suzie Christopher drove the laundry van...one day when they stopped, Benji jumped out of the van and went under it.....she ran him over and killed him..I know it was an accident, but as a 13yr old boy I took it personal at the time :evil: ......oh well, just another hurdle in my life at the ranch......
Robert King

first name: Robert
last_name: King

Re: I once had a pet......

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:36 pm

Yep, I bet that one was tough at the time. When I was at the ranch the dogs were all sort of community property. They did seem to gravitate to certain dorms and kids though. I can remember the dogs running out into the pasture while we were horseback riding.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Postby Robert King » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:10 pm

I know what you mean about most dogs just migrated where they wanted to. Here are two dogs that we had in our dorm.....not sure where they came from, I think the Pamplins or something, but I do know that they went to the Nuns ranch......was it a ranch? The same nuns that got the house we built....I think.....or is my Alzheimer getting worse.....lol
Attachments
scan0009.jpg
Robert King

Postby Robert King » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:11 pm

They were named Nikki & Ollie....I think this is Ollie
Attachments
scan0010.jpg
Robert King

Postby sabor » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:47 pm

The last couple of times I was at the Ranch. I kept having the feeling that something was wrong. Then it hit me. No Dogs.
When I ask about it, even checked to see if any of the kids wanted to raise some Lab and sell for money. I was told it was an insurance problem.
Sad.

Y'all take care.
Norman
Boothill, McCormick & Western Ave. 1956-1960
sabor

Postby Robert King » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:01 pm

NO! Boys can't have a dog? That is UNCONSTITUTIONAL....isn't it? It's like depriving them of food and water......very sad indeed....
Robert King

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:32 pm

Last year, I saw about 3-4 dogs around the staff residences. They were laid up in the shade and all seemed really old. I did not see any around the homes or the open areas though. I don't recall seeing any this year though.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Postby Tiny » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:50 am

You all remember Bolgers and he was a great pet and a friend. You know there would be times when we'd run out of left overs and I'd get guys to grab up extra meat for Bolgers. I had guys from other dorms hook me up. I wasn't a jock or anything but having that dog alowed me to fit in during a difficult period of time. Gene Peggram allowed me to keep him and yes it was his dog but he like me and we both were in trouble a lot so we seemed to make the best out of the situation.

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1BpL5S
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1BuHTJ

The last picture was me in 1990 and he remembered me and was still a little sore at me because I left him behind. I wanted to take him back to Ft.Worth but my parents thought is wasn't fair= didn't want him peeing in there yard, I guess I could understand but he was with me all the time.
I came back from a town trip one night and it was one of those Texas winter storms, you know real nice and all the sudden all hell broke loose! Well it was the late bus and we had like 5 guys in the car and so when I went into my room and sat down on my rack I sunk down then I heard licking and I knew it was Bolgers. Somebody let him in and he was chilling on my rack.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)
Tiny

first name: Tiny
last_name: Gee
From-To Years at BR: 79~85
Home: Veigel

Postby MikeBateman » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:14 pm

I remember going to the dinning hall for breakfast one mornin it was cold as u know wut some jerk that was workin in the dish room of the dinnin hall had sprayed a dog down with water it was standing straight up on all fours frozen i remember wishin some one would do that to that kid i dont remember who it was. anyone remember that longhorn that Mr Gates use to ride around
MF dorm 80-84
MikeBateman

first name: Mike
last_name: Bateman

Postby Robert King » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:19 pm

I thought Mr. Gates was a dweeb because as a basketball couch, he SUCKED! We had to wait for him to xerox copies of plays he got out of some magazine....He was such joke....and if he happens to read this, I am sorry for being honest.....YOU ROCKED! :lol:
Last edited by Robert King on Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert King

Postby Tiny » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:12 am

MikeBateman wrote:I remember going to the dinning hall for breakfast one mornin it was cold as u know wut some jerk that was workin in the dish room of the dinnin hall had sprayed a dog down with water it was standing straight up on all fours frozen i remember wishin some one would do that to that kid i dont remember who it was. anyone remember that longhorn that Mr Gates use to ride around

That wasn't a longhorn it was Strawberry his steer. He had a ring in it's nose and his son Scott used to ride it around when he'd bring it over.
Tiny

Postby MikeBateman » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:26 pm

longhorn steer it was still big ugly and shouldnt be rode like a hourse lol
MF dorm 80-84
MikeBateman

first name: Mike
last_name: Bateman

Postby Tiny » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:51 pm

Yes you are right!
Tiny

Postby MCrane » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:14 am

Robert King wrote:I am sorry for being honest.....YOU ROCKED! :lol:

ROFL :lol:
Mike Crane
MF Dorm 78-83
MCrane

Postby chefkyle » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:20 am

hey there...this is my cat mr frisky. i adopted him from a tabby rescue center 8 years ago. hes been a good critter...:)

chef kyle

chef kyle h.
chefkyle@sbcglobal.net
never trust a skinny chef

www.personalchefsforyou.com
chefkyle

first name: chef
last_name: kyle
From-To Years at BR: 1975-1981
Home: mf-home of the softball champs EVERY summer :)

Next

Return to Pets