Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

Pet threads

this is for folk who have or had pets and want to share them with us

Moderator: Tiny

Postby auminer » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:13 pm

Me and the Mrs do a bit of volunteer work with animal rescue groups here in the Dallas area.

Here's a pic of a blue pit bull we fostered for awhile. Man, I miss that stinkin' dog!!!!

and here's another of my little girl:

auminer

first name: Trenton 'TJ'
last_name: White
From-To Years at BR: 1983-1986
Home: Maynard

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:37 pm

Nice pics TJ. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Postby Tiny » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:44 am

Yeah pits get a real bad rep and yet they can be so sweet and loyal. I posted our pitures of ruckus and Heidi and they are friends. He is a male and sometimes he will pull a stunt but in the end he is a old lap dog! Thanks for posting those pictures!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910)
Tiny

first name: Tiny
last_name: Gee
From-To Years at BR: 79~85
Home: Veigel

Postby Tiny » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:14 am

I have a new cat and she is really something. Very proper compared to my current cats. She sits and lays very proper and acts like a lady. And the other 2 cats seem to be getting on well with her and the dog is doing fine and they are all finding there spaces again.
Her name is Mae and she is really sweet.

Tiny

Re: Pet threads

Postby Tiny » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:19 am

Here is my Turkish Angora and man is she a demanding cat! I don’t know what she was in the “other” life but she likes bling! Anything shiny; in fact she slept on this envelop that had a gold stamp on it one night…..Well anyways she likes to be near my stuff and sleeps on my cloths and leaves loft of hair. After I brush her it reminds me of BR in the summer with all the cotton from the cottonwood trees.
Attachments
Ester Mae.JPG
Tiny

Postby Tom Weissinger » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:32 am

I currently have no picture to post with this, but I board my daughter's horse here at my place. She is an 11 year old quarter horse and she has taught herself to move her feed bin over to the fence for us to put the feed in it. All we have to do is to get the feed ready and call her. When she comes up we tell her to move her feed bin over for us and she will move it with her nose. She also has her filly here with us. The filly is 3 and has been by her mother's side since birth, when they eat, they share the same dish. Her registered name is Sweet Taco Alibi but we call her Taco. Seems like since she has taught herself this I'd be willing to bet that she could learn other tricks too. What do you guys think? Any tips? I'll see what I can do about getting a picture, maybe even one showing her moving the dish for us.

Oh, by the way, she is not a full blood quarter horse, she is an associate registry. Can anyone tell me just exactly what that means? Is it that she had one quarter horse parent? I do know that her offspring can be registered full quarter horse if she has two or more verified registered births. After that any other births are registered as quarter horse.
Tom Weissinger
Maynard Dorm
'59-63
Tom Weissinger

first name: Tom
last_name: Weissinger
From-To Years at BR: '59-'63
Home: Maynard

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:48 pm

Tom, although I have never taught a horse tricks I know it can be done. Look at Roy Rogers and Gene Autry. Their horses could do things and I believe Will Rogers had a horse that did tricks also.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Postby Tiny » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:43 am

And some say animals are dumb!!!! They are truly a special part of life and they can even teach us a few things :D
Tiny

Postby MCrane » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:51 am

this was a dog that I had when I first got Married. I went to the pound to look at what was thee and they were closed. As I was walking back to my truck a guy pulled up and got out of his pickup with this dog on a leash. he was just 6 months old and a good looking pup. the guy said he was going to have to move in an Apt and couldn't take him with him. I told the guy the pound was closed but I would take him off his hands if he wanted. I kept that dog till the end when he finally got to where he couldn't walk any more because his hips were no longer any good. I put him down myself here on my property and buried him out under a tree by my pond near the house. He will always be my favorite dog

Mike Crane
MF Dorm 78-83
MCrane

Postby Tiny » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:58 am

Nice piece there Mike, Yes animals have a unique way of enhancing our lives in many ways. I think of Bogers while at BR and that ole dog and I were good friends. I would have loved to have been able to take hime with me when I left but that wasn't an option. I f feel in the end being at BR was a good place for him since he lived the majority of his time there until he got really old and lived out in town with some ex-staff.

Hope everything is going good for you.
Tiny

Postby Tiny » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:17 am

When I started this thread it was initially about my pets and for everyone to share the good times and sometimes the sad times. Well this about my little buddy Scooter a tuxedo cat I found on my property one September about 5 years ago. He was the size of my palm and wife would put him in my wife's robe pocket until he out grew the pocket because he was growing so fast. He was a real turd at times and I mean that, a typical male stirring stuff up. He was a great addition to our house and finally I had another male in a house of females! He was always near or with me in the house or in the garage. He never wanted outside and he would watch me from different windows as I worked or cut the grass. He would come and sit on my chest first thing in the morning and each member of our clan he would visit them and treated them in his own unique way with love and patience.
Sadly back in mid-October I received a call from the lady who was looking in on our other cats told me that my scooter was found in our living room on his back with what looked like smile on his face, deader than a door knob...... :shock: I was so shocked my little buddy was gone at just 5 years old. And what made it worse was this women’s grand daughter found him, Our Turkish Angora was freaking out and still is in a little shock after a month of him being gone. I was very happy to have been able to give him a good home, lots of love and harassment and I never had a pet like him and it was sad for me but I knew he had a good life and I did my part. I like to think he had a smile and he didn't suffer. He is buried in my back yard out close to where we first met.

It has taken me a while to write this because under this hard exterior I have a caring heart and I had to shed my tears when I buried my pet and now when I think of Scooter aka -->Monk I smile or laugh because he was one hell of a character, and had he ever had to live with another person they would have wondered what in the hell happened to this cat, because he was odd like me and yet very loyal.

So long my friend you made our lives eventful and exciting almost everyday......

I am back to that all female house again with my wife, step-daugther, two female cats, one female German Sheppard Dog and at this point I have no plans to take on any more stray animals like the rest of my pets I have. But maybe someday I'll get another male cat for old times sake.
Attachments
corn1.JPG
Tiny

Postby BR-69 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:05 am

Well we lost 1 of our chewawas yesteday,she was 15 years old,that is 99 in human years.She was a character and a good one at that.
"A MAN GOTTA STAND FOR SOMETHING OR HE WILL FALL FOR ANYTHING"
BR-69

first name: Keith
last_name: Cargill
From-To Years at BR: 1969
Home: Jim Hill,Maynard,Rafter-R

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:52 am

I'm always saddened to hear of someone's pet passing away. I know how it feels and I am sad.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Postby Tiny » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:45 pm

BR-69 wrote:Well we lost 1 of our chewawas yesteday,she was 15 years old,that is 99 in human years.She was a character and a good one at that.

Sorry for the loss of a good friend.
Tiny

Postby BR-69 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:18 pm

Thanks,we still have her granddaughter,Bumper or Boo-Boo as we sometimes call her,she is 4.
"A MAN GOTTA STAND FOR SOMETHING OR HE WILL FALL FOR ANYTHING"
BR-69

first name: Keith
last_name: Cargill
From-To Years at BR: 1969
Home: Jim Hill,Maynard,Rafter-R

PreviousNext

Return to Pets