Site Announcements

If you are not already a paid CFBRAA member I want to encourage you to become one.
Our association is doing good things and helping out many with special needs and scholarships.
We aren't doing as much as we would like to do and not as much as one would expect, especially if you or someone you are close to are in need of financial help.
We are limited by the funds we have available, so what we can do is modest compared to the needs.

Here is what we were able to accomplish this year with less than 300 paid members:
1. Helped 15 families in crisis situations, providing medical help, housing, utilities, clothing, etc. You provided nearly $11K in crisis support to families.
2. Helped 9 alumni families send their children to college, providing $6K in scholarship assistance.
3. Helped scores of new alumni with transportation, providing $4K for vehicle maintenance and fuel for the Alumni Support Center.
4. Provided $500 to the residents of the Alumni Support Center to help with Christmas presents for their families.
5. Provided $500 to the homes at BR as awards for the Christmas Contest winners.

Join or Renew CFBRAA Membership Here:
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/OnlineGiving.aspx

Facebook Cal Farley's Boys Ranch Alumni
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9890186851/

Facebook CFBR Roughriders
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CalFarleys.Roughriders/

New Photo Album Page for Events and Gatherings
http://www.boysranchtexasfamily.net/CFBRAA/

CFBRAA Website
http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/

Veteran Memorial

Post info here. Date, Time, People, Stories, Photos...

Moderator: Jerry Nicholson

What is your opinion about a memorial which honors the veterains?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:32 pm

1. Support and willing to donate.
67%
2. Support and willing to help share the cause with the public.
No votes
3. Not interested
33%

Total votes : 3

Veteran Memorial

Postby dennislinam » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:32 pm

Veterans Honored at Cal Farley’s Boys Ranch

As a child Cal Farley, the creator of Cal Farley’s boys ranch, endured many hardships and people called him “Shrimp” because of his physique. He loved playing baseball, and walked daily to play. At sixteen a semi-pro baseball team offered him a contract and he was known to say, “They never got me behind a plow again.” In 1918 he volunteered for service in the Sixth Engineers and engaged in several battles during World War I. Out of 250 men he was one of the few who survived.

Cal’s accomplishments were numerous during his service. He organized athletic programs for the allies’, and mentor German children’s baseball. Before leaving the military, he won the American expeditionary force championship. Upon returning to the United States Cal won the world welterweight wrestling championship. Although this giant of a man is portrayed in a statute at Cal Farley’s boys’ ranch, the children who continued his military heritage are not honored.

Over 9000 children have left Cal Farley’s organization since 1939 with the tools to become productive citizens, and many of those have served in the military. It is now time to place those who have given selfless service to the military alongside Cal Farley. CFBRAA seeks help in meeting the financial obligation of building a monument which will honor Cal Farley’s veteran’s service. Building a Veterans Memorial for former residence of Cal Farley's, who have served in the military or have sacrificed their lives requires effort and funding. Only through the public’s effort can this monument be erected, and without the donations these deserving warriors will not have a final resting place for their name. Donations can be provided either by ordering a t-shirt or donating at the booster website. Donations size is completely your decision and provides the alumni Association the ability to “carry on his work.”

Additional Information:
The website with information is http://www.calfarleysboysranchalumni.org/
The T-shirt booster drive and donation site is https://www.booster.com/cfbraa2

Correspondence for donations
Cal Farley’s boys ranch alumni Association
“Veterans Memorial Fund”
C/o Executive Director Bobby Sarpalius
133 Springhill Drive
Hurst, Texas 76054
Phone# 817-788-8782
Email: [url]cfbraa@sarpserv.com[/url]
BR Logo2.jpg
BR Logo2.jpg (20.21 KiB) Viewed 690 times
dennislinam

first name: Dennis
last_name: Linam
From-To Years at BR: 1978 - 82 alumni
Home: Bridwell

Re: Veteran Memorial

Postby rob waldrup » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:52 pm

Gentlemen, The Veteran's Memorial is a grand idea and effort for EX-RANCHERS. I am, have been, and will continue to be an advocate for the exes,...not staff, their children and so on. This is an Ex BR Veteran proposition, at least that is how it started. Mixing in any semblance of staff tarnishes the mental images of my BR heroes and friends that I hold sacred. I find that to be offensive. If a BR ex crossed the line to become staff, he's out too as far as I'm concerned. Whether anyone believes it or not is immaterial to me but it WAS them against us. I cannot support, with a clear conscience, the efforts that will be put into the memorial fund. Cal Farley's Boy's Ranch was founded for the boys that grew to men by their experience, not the staff. I am not the only one with this frame of mind but I don't hear them and may not. That is fine with me too. I gave my five years there to earn the right to speak my piece here. 8)
rob waldrup

first name: rob
last_name: waldrup
From-To Years at BR: 1964/1969
Home: Edwards

Postby dennislinam » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:43 pm

Your feelings do matter and I appreciate your comments. As you I spent 4 1/2 years at the ranch, but had a different experience. The evolution of the monument needs to encompass veterans of Girlstown, BR, and the staff/children who have served the ranch or Girlstown. Others can be honored through buying a paver or brick "in memory of". Please read the guidelines for the building and who can obtain honor places. There is a clear policy requirement. This standard allows each type of member to receive a place of honor based on their position, allowing the wall and centerpiece to only encompass the Veterans of Cal Farley's, which is, as you said, is as it should be. Documentation is on the CFBRAA website. Please continue to support and pass this project to others and hope to see you soon brother :)
Last edited by dennislinam on Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
dennislinam

first name: Dennis
last_name: Linam
From-To Years at BR: 1978 - 82 alumni
Home: Bridwell

Postby Jerry Nicholson » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:27 am

The policy does indeed include staff and former staff members as well as other employees and boys and girls residents of BR and Girls Town.

However, this is not an uniquely BR thing, we are honoring and recognizing veterans who happened to be associated with BR. Those who served their country in the armed forces deserve to be honored for that service whether they were ranchers or staff. The first tile to go up will be for Cal Farley, honoring his service in WW1. The second is for Alvis Grant, one of the original boys at BR in 1939. We will be auctioning the right to purchase those tiles in order to help raise money for the Veteran's Memorial. '

I encourage everyone to embrace and support this project as much as you can. Many of you will remember our dear friend "Sabor". Norman Martin. Norman tried for years to get this project off the ground and I know he would be proud that we are finally here with it.
Jerry Nicholson
"Semper Fidelis".
You can join the Army, you can join the Navy and you can join the Air Force but, you BECOME a Marine!
Having earned the title of Marine it becomes a integral part of who and what we will become later in life.
Jerry Nicholson
Site Admin

Location: San Fernando Valley Section of Los Angeles, California
first name: Jerry
last_name: Nicholson
From-To Years at BR: 1959-1965
Home: Ails

Postby dennislinam » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:56 am

Thank You for the clarifications on policy. :D
SFC/Army Dennis Linam 1982 - 2012
Attachments